cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Flexible Items In Exploded Views

BrettL.
11-Garnet

Flexible Items In Exploded Views

Hello All,

I am currently using flexibility for components in assemblies manipulating both dimensions and features (suppressed) in the components. Any thoughts on how to remove the flexibility in an exploded view but retain the flexibility in the unexploded view?

For example-- I have a rivet that contains a suppressed feature that mimics the spinning of the head in the assembly. Using flexibility, I resume the feature of the spun head in the assembly to reflect the manufacturing process but in the exploded view, I want to show the rivet without the spun head as the purchased item. This technique could also apply to springs except that a dimension is manipulated instead of a feature.

This was previously done with family tables but I would rather not use that method as it creates a seperate number in our WC system and does not relect properly in the BOM.

Thanks

Brett

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:BrettL.)

Antonius already mentioned the only possible (for now) way : combined views. I'll just specify what exactly should be done there to eliminate FLEX cuts or so:

- for the spring part, prepare part level simprep that has exaclty same features as master rep (one to one). Call it NO_FLEX

- create top assembly simprep FOR_EXPLODE, and substitute spring component with its part level simprep NO_FLEX

- while FOR_EXPLODE is set, create desired explode state. Call it EXPL_NO_FLEX

- now create new combined state that combines simprep FOR_EXPLODE & explode state EXPL_NO_FLEX. It will snapshot desired combination.

Regards

- Vlad

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Combined view states can help but you have duplications of the parts. If your BOM has to be accurate to the model, this becomes restrictive.

Assembly level family tables can help by varying the state (part level family tables) but overall, it just becomes a nightmare to manage.

If you go down the combined view road, you will become dependent on the combined views to access your explode states. Nothing wrong with that.

The nice thing is that drawings recognize combined states. once you have it worked out in the assembly, the drawing is a piece of cake.

I find that not thinking this through can really cause some serious regeneration issues in both the model and the drawing.

You can also look at snapshots, although I don't think this will help with state changes.

vzak
6-Contributor
(To:BrettL.)

Antonius already mentioned the only possible (for now) way : combined views. I'll just specify what exactly should be done there to eliminate FLEX cuts or so:

- for the spring part, prepare part level simprep that has exaclty same features as master rep (one to one). Call it NO_FLEX

- create top assembly simprep FOR_EXPLODE, and substitute spring component with its part level simprep NO_FLEX

- while FOR_EXPLODE is set, create desired explode state. Call it EXPL_NO_FLEX

- now create new combined state that combines simprep FOR_EXPLODE & explode state EXPL_NO_FLEX. It will snapshot desired combination.

Regards

- Vlad

BrettL.
11-Garnet
(To:vzak)

Thanks Vlad

This is what I needed. I forget to mention that I am using Creo 2.0. I have been searching for this solution for some time. I was missing the step regarding the addition of a part level simprep. Also setting the representation of the component in the assembly level simprep to "user defined" to pick up the part level simp rep was a little tricky but works now.

"user defined" = "Activate a simplified rep from the selected component"

The exploded view looks great with the components in their raw state when coupled with a BOM repeat region.

Regards

Brett

Top Tags