cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Formats and templates

ptc-169947
1-Newbie

Formats and templates

Hi all,

We currently create new drawings by using a template (usually B or D size), then adding a format at some point (we have different formats for inch, metric, part, assy, etc).
We're considering combining formats and templates. What are other people doing, and why? We don't use pre-defined views.

Just curious,
Stefan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

We are on Windchill 8 and ProE WF4 and found that Windchill does not allow
a format to be in a template - specifically, the template can not reference
another file (the format file).
--
Mark von Huben

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>

Hi Stefan,
We have recently moved to using drawing templates which call up the appropriate size format for each template. We only use one format per template but this method allows us to update the format but still have the same template name (means we can still keep older formats for older drawings but it is not so confusing as having to choose between a number of same sized formats).

Prior to using this process we had to call up a format and choose the correct one (and as we had three for A3 size this was confusing, especially for newer users).

We do not have Windchill (yet) so I am a bit alarmed to see a reply saying that you can't do the template/format thing.

Regards, Brent Drysdale
Regards, Brent Drysdale
Mechanical Designer
Tait Electronics Ltd (www.taitworld.com)
New Zealand
Ph. +64 3 358 1093

Mueller, Stefan wrote:Hi all, We currently create new drawings by using a template (usually B or D size), then adding a format at some point (we have different formats for inch, metric, part, assy, etc).We're considering combining formats and templates. What are other people doing, and why? We don't use pre-defined views. Just curious,Stefan

Stefan,

We use templates on a lot of parts because we make a lot of similar components over and over again with slight tweaks. So using a template that loads the views and format just saves that much time. We have also made several map keys to load and replace a default format with whatever format that is required. The map key just saves you from searching/browsing the database for the format you want and then clicking "Replace all" and that stuff. Now, if you have dozens of formats this might get messy. We deal with about 6 typical formats so this works well for us.

James

-----End Original Message-----

Stefan,

Contrary to what Mark states, the format files are fine with Windchill.
We're currently on 7 but are in the process of upgrading to 9.1 later
this fall. We've been doing extensive testing and have had no problems.
We run a server install of Pro/E and that is where all the templates
are. The formats though are stored in Windchill so that unwanted changes
to them are controlled. Currently I don't have pre-defined views set up,
but every time I create a drawing with the standard top, front and right
views, I keep saying I should set up the pre-defined views. I could
probably set up a new template with pre-defined views in it if I created
a lot of 2D drawings which I don't.

We have separate templates for metric, inch, part and ass'y. as well.
When we create a 2D drawing we will typically start with a template, if
we need to change later then we do.

Jeff Horacek
Sr. Designer

STERIS Corporation
5960 Heisley Rd.
Mentor, OH 44060
p (440) 392-7721
f (440) 392-8954

We are running Windchill 8.0 m050 and Wildfire 3.0 m190. Drawing templates and formats work fine for us without any issues. Perhaps you have a set up issue if they aren't working for you.

We do have both the formats and the templates stored in a Windchill Library, not on a local hard disk or regular server....

- marc

Mark,
What do you mean Windchill won't handle drawing templates with formats? We
do that, it works fine.

Perhaps you should tell us specifically what's wrong and maybe someone can
tell you how to fix it.

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

Hi David,
Some help would certainly be appreciated. I just created a ProE drawing
template referencing a format and then tried to create a Windchill template
referencing that drawing. I got the error message in the attached
screenshot. In the template called "ProE Drawing Template" I changed the
underlying drawing template to add a format but when I use the template it
appears as before (that is, no format). You can see that the last time I
set up templates was when we installed Windchill in early 2006. At the
time I asked PTC about this and was told this was the way it worked -
intended functionality.

Best Regards,
--
mark
(Embedded image moved to file: pic14945.gif)

|------------>
|------------>

I forgot to say we are using Windchill 8.0 M040 (upgrading to 9 late this
year) and ProE WF3 M200.
--
Mark von Huben

|------------>
|------------>

Mark

You don't need to create a Windchill template, that has another purpose unless you have some company requirement, you can avoid that. Just create the standard old Pro-E template drawing and check in to location of your library files. Windchill will store it just like another Pro-E file and no more headaches. Now some places do use a lot of Windchill stuff and probably have setup Windchill templates for their system, but they are not equivalent to a Pro-E drawing template.

Eric Mills

Design and Project manager

http://www.rapidoconsulting.com

eric.mills@rapidoconsulting.com

Top Tags