cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Help getting this plotted correctly

ML_7901575
5-Regular Member

Help getting this plotted correctly

I'm trying to incorporate a cycloid (standard, not epi-) into a design I'm working on. I tried to generate the appropriate curve using the equation from curve tool, but it only returned a very slight curve. I verified my equations using MATLAB. Pictures and equations are provided below:

x(t) = r(t-sin(t))

y(t) = r(1-cos(t))

where t is some angle and r is the radius of the rolling circle tracing the cycloid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The problem is that the equations as you have them are assuming the angle being evaluated is in radians.

If you are inputting the angles in degrees (0 - 360), you'll get a very large "X" result.

To correct this, again assuming you are setting "t" to be 0 to 360 degrees, the equations should be:

x = 1 * ( pi * t / 180 - sin(t) )
y = 1 * ( 1 - cos(t) )

This seems to give the desired curve.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

The problem is that the equations as you have them are assuming the angle being evaluated is in radians.

If you are inputting the angles in degrees (0 - 360), you'll get a very large "X" result.

To correct this, again assuming you are setting "t" to be 0 to 360 degrees, the equations should be:

x = 1 * ( pi * t / 180 - sin(t) )
y = 1 * ( 1 - cos(t) )

This seems to give the desired curve.

Hi,

if you set From = 0 and To = 360 for curve from equations then use following equations.

x=100*(t * PI() / 180 - sin(t))
y=100*(1-cos(t))
z=0

Creo uses angle values in degrees, because of this sin(t) and cos(t) is used.

t * PI() / 180 converts angle value to radians to satisfy cycloid definition.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags