cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

How can i open point cloud data in Creo 2.0?

vpatel-4
1-Newbie

How can i open point cloud data in Creo 2.0?

I have collected point cloud data using Dr. picza software in '.pij'. how can i import that .pij file in Creo 2.0?

10 REPLIES 10

I don't see .pij in the list of accepted extensions.

could you possibly export out of Dr.Picza software in another format - like .stp or igs?

Output of Dr. Picza software: '.txt', '.stl', '.xvl' , '.dxf' ?

try the .stl

go to file > open > open existing file

use the pull down for the extention

openstl.png

I have tried it. It shows "This file is invalid for use as the following Certificate Trust List."

If the .txt file has XYZ coordinates, you might be able to somehow program to pull those in, perhaps thru excel?

I have no clue what a .xvl file is so perhaps someone else can chime in about this one.

.dxf, in my experience, has only been a 2D generator.  I could be wrong as my experience was moons ago with autocad and since moving to the 3d world, i left this format alone.

the only other option is to put the .stl on the certificate trust list?

Sorry for the lack of total help

check out this company

Lattice Technology - Leader in Technical Communications

specifically:

CAD Agnostic Converters

hope this helps

Hi,

Perhaps you could try first open stl file using Meshlab or Meshmixer (Autodesk).

Both are freeware.

Then you will see if stl files are correct and try to export to stl or other format.

Are you double clicking on it in Windows or using File > Open in Creo?  Windows thinks an STL is something called a "Certificate Trust List", you won't be able to open it directly in Creo that way.  You need to open Creo first, then you can either drag it into the Creo window or use the File > Open command.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

If you export it as txt and it keeps all the points in an x y z columns, then you can open the .txt file in notepad and save as a .pts file. Then you can use the get data option to pull in the points with the .pts. If its not in xyz columns youll have to manipulate it in xls first and save it as a tab delineated .txt file then save as a .pts.

I am also looking for some help with point clouds.  I have a .txt and an .xyz file from a CMM.  Creo does not pull these files in if I simply change the file extension to a pts.  There are probably a million XYZ points in this file.  The first few lines look like this:

L0##2##2##0.015269##-0.991260##0.131033

2.425981, 2.602559, 6.097227

2.421572, 2.602123, 6.098048

2.419363, 2.601879, 6.098464

Throughout the file there are several more lines like the first one.  I am suspicious something is wrong with the lines starting with L0## that I need to edit them in order for the file to work?

Top Tags