cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How do I make a curved Round?

mviselli
2-Guest

How do I make a curved Round?

I received an STP model of a part.  The part is a sheet metal part.  I had made some modifications to the part where I cut out a section that comes off a bend, makes a 90° turn and blends into a flat. Essentially, the part in flat had a Round and then the area of the round was bent 90°, causing the Round to stretch.  I would like to recreate this stretched Round in the corner that I made.

The original bend was similar to the following:

After I modified the part I was left with a corner:

When I try to insert a Round, I only get the following:

I couldn’t figure out a way to make the Round follow the bend.

As a temporary fix, I made the corner in PTC Sheetmetal:

And I then merged it into the part as an assembly:

But now I must have this corner bend follow the part.  If the two get separated, the part model fails.

I would like to be able to create the curved Round in the model instead of merging in another part.

If anyone has an idea on how to make this feature, other than merging another part, I would greatly appreciate your insight.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Did you try with boundary blend in part mode?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

What results from bending a fillet is no longer round; it's a twist.

You should be able to convert the original part into a sheet metal part, then flatten it and put the round in the flat state, and then rebend, which will create the twist.

This will work if other failures don't occur.

I did convert this model into a sheet metal part, but I had to delete a good portion of the features in order for it to become a sheet metal part.  I was able to make the "twist" just as you stated.  I was hoping there would be a way to twist the round so that I wouldn't have to recreate all the features I had to delete in order to make the model a sheet metal part.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Did you try with boundary blend in part mode?

Being new to Creo, I haven't used surfaces in many years.  It took me a few hours, but I figured it out and now I can create these features in a few minutes.  Thank you for your suggestion.

psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:mviselli)

In Creo 2.0, you can make this kind of transition using the round tool:

funky_round.png

psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:psobejko)

Selecting the adjacent faces also produces this transition:

funky_round2.png

I know that's not really a "twisted" surface, but do you really need that sheetmetal-twist?  I don't think it's fully realistic either way...

Top Tags