cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How do I select multiple items to move in the structure browser?

vgillespie
1-Newbie

How do I select multiple items to move in the structure browser?

Hi Folks,

I am using PTC Creo Elements / Direct Modeling Express.

I think this is a simple question which someone will probably know right away.  But I can't figure out the answer.  I want to move several item all together.  One group of items is an assembly which contains other assemblies of structures.  I also want to move - in the same direction and for the same distance - another structure (which is not in any of those assemblies).  I could just select all the items in the viewport while holding down the shift key.  That works.  But there are quite a few items to select and I would like to know how to do this more efficiently.  I would think I should be able to select the items in the structure browser.  But what I find is that if I hold down the shift key while selecting items in the structure browser the system won't let me select anything at all.  If I don't hold down the shift key it will let me select ONE item (or one assembly) but not the other structure (or assembly).  I was able to move all the items into a new assembly and then just select the new assembly in the structure browser but I don't think I should have to do that.  I would guess there is probably some easy trick that I don't know about.  Does anyone know how to do this, to select several objects in the structure browser so that they can all be moved together?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

Hi

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CADmin
6-Contributor
(To:vgillespie)

Hi Tom,

try this:

Select multiple items in the structure browser while holding down the CTRL key. Then right klick and choose the command on top of the list...

I work with the german UI and don't know the english equivalent of this command.

Stephan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

When selecting items in the structure browser, use the same method as selecting items in the explorer window in windows.

CTRL will allow you to individually select items to create a group.

Selecting one item and then pressing shift and selecting another item will select all of the items between the first and second inclusive.

regards

Tom

Creo Element\Direct Modeling 20.6.0.0.0

Hi Tom,

Those things work fine in the viewport but I cannot get them to work by clicking on objects in the structure browser.  When open the "position" dialogue box and then hold down the shift or CTRL key and then click on items in the structure browser it won't let me select anything to enter into the box next to the word "objects" in the "position" dialogue box.

Vincent

CADmin
6-Contributor
(To:vgillespie)

Hi Tom,

try this:

Select multiple items in the structure browser while holding down the CTRL key. Then right klick and choose the command on top of the list...

I work with the german UI and don't know the english equivalent of this command.

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

Yes!  That works.  The name of that command at the top of the pop up menu is "apply selection."  Now I know exactly how to do what I was trying to do.  Thank you very much.

Vincent

Top Tags