cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How do I update parts that were changed in another session.

spete
5-Regular Member

How do I update parts that were changed in another session.

I am working on an assembly that was copied from another assembly. Some of the reused components are being updated, and I want to have the changes shown in my current session. How can I update the models that were changed, without having to exit my current session and reopening the changed models?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shawn,

if your component is connected by search path you can

- suppress your component

- erase component from memory

- resume

If you are not using search paths

- open component

- resume

Reinhard

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:spete)

Are you using Windchill? If not, this is a dangerous condition depending on how you are saving updated parts that you have in session. It is all too easy to overwrite existing updates in a non-PDM environment.

Collaborative efforts in Creo requires some levels of care about overwriting data.

If you are using a Windchill environment, someone more knowledgeable than I will need to weigh in.

spete
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I understand Windchill very well from a prior employer, however, my new employer does not own a license.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

In that case, how are you managing file duplication? From your initial post, it sounds like you have an assembly open but other people are making changes to parts you have in session.

Seems there should be some kind of "update out-of-date parts in session" operation. Don't know of one but there should be one

spete
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I was able to determine that those that have sessions open with components that were updated in outside sessions, would have to suppress the components, clear the session of those components, then open the updated versions of the components directly. Once the updated version is in session, they could resume the components in the open assembly.

However, this requires a lot of communication, which is possible in my situation, as I sit next to the guy I copied the assembly I am modifying from. It is not the ideal situation (having used a PDM application before) but one I have to live with.

I wonder how a component/replace would work on a situation like this????

If you were to enter the actaul *.prt.X part would it load the new one from disk?

spete
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-28056)

I tried using replace, Creo recognized the "unrelated part" as a "family table part" and wouldn't replace it.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

True, this is the environment I am use to as well. A common server and a lot of communication. Worked very well with 4 engineers dedicated to preserving data.

I did learn more about external simplified reps (ESR's). There is an extensive discussion on this elsewhere on the forum that is probably worth a read...

External simplified Rep

This is an attempt to put collaborative management in your hands along with other more extended uses. It still takes planning but it can remove references from your session that you may not need.

Shawn,

if your component is connected by search path you can

- resume

If you are not using search paths

- open component

- resume

Reinhard

Top Tags