cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to achieve 2 different colours on a single surface representating 2 different surface finish?

sparulekar
14-Alexandrite

How to achieve 2 different colours on a single surface representating 2 different surface finish?

How to achieve 2 different colours on a single surface representing 2 different surface finish? For e.g. we want to denote matt finish surface & polish finish surface.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Make a copy of the surface and set difference appearance like the surface finish. For manage displaying you can use Layer State or Simp Rep even the Family table.

See the example with layer_state ( blue or red)

Another way of doing this is to use style surfaces or a combination of style and other surfaces such as boundary blends. Style surfaces keep the colors applied to them unlike other surface types which get merged and take on one of the colors.

When we need to specify multiple textures and surface finishes on our plastic parts, we make copies of the surfaces, trim them as needed, and apply colors to them.  Each different finish gets its own color.  We then place them on their own layer and keep it hidden most of the time.  On the drawing, we create shaded views and set that layer for those views only as isolated so those surfaces, and only those surfaces, show.  Then add a note saying what each color corresponds to (green = MT11001, yellow = SPI A3, etc)

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Hi Doug,

Looks like you already answered my contribution - Some reason I did not see yours until after I submitted mine.

Scott

The method I use is to offset the surface that you wish to show texture break by a very small amount (say .001" or .05mm) You may need to modify this value based on the size and accuracy of your part.  The point is to have an offset surface that you can see once you have applied a different graphic to it.  Then trim the surface to the desired outline.  This trimmed surface represents the area that you will identify as a different texture.  Now you may assign a different appearance to it in the model.  When making a drawing, you can fill the outline with a x-hatching pattern.  Let me know if that is what you had in mind.  I can supply a CAD model for reference if you need it.

Scott

Top Tags