cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to add automatic parameter using layer properties?

jvadalia
4-Participant

How to add automatic parameter using layer properties?

Hi all,

I wanted to add automatic parameter associated with features like holes and other cut features.

So my question is, is there any relations for feature types for adding automatic parameters.

For example,

If i am adding hole1 feature in a model. I want the automatic parameter creation "machine=drilling" in that particular hole feature.

right now i am doing manually by adding parameter in each and every hole feature.

i might be dreaming for this type solution. I am thinking this way to make my work easy but if this can be done in some other way then please let me know.

And If its possible. Please help me out for this.

If this can be solved, i can save my hell lot of time and can be free from doing repetitive work.

I am attaching the screenshot hereby to understand what i want.

Regards,

Jimmy

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
jstone-2
5-Regular Member
(To:jvadalia)

Sounds like creating a UDF would be an easy solution. This would allow you to save the hole feature with required parameters and dimensions already defined and simply add the UDF to existing models as needed using placement references. You can setup the UDF using variable dimensions and parameters, family tables, relations, etc if needed. This really saves time when complicated features are reused often.  In Creo 3.0 - Tools->UDF LIbrary->Create.

gkoch
1-Newbie

Hello Jimmy,

Jeremy's answer seems to be the best way to me.

The only other way would be by programming an auxiliary application that adds the parameters whenever a new feature of a specific type gets created (there should be Toolkit notifications/ Java listeners for feature creation). Or the application checks all features and adds the parameters where they are missing, for example when saving the model or when triggered by the user. The latter would have the advantage of allowing to complete existing models.

Regards,

Gunter

jvadalia
4-Participant

Thanks Jeremy and Gunter,

Thanks for your replies guys. at some level i got my solution but is not again permanent solution for me. The UDFs options suggested by Jeremy can definitely reduces the time to add feature. But same thing i wanted to apply for remove material features and round chamfer features. So for all such feature i would have to create UDFs. But it will not work for each and every feature operations.

so, programming would be the option for the permanent solution as suggested by Gunter. But again i dont know how to use the programming by toolkit stuffs.

But anyways thanks to hear from from you. Hope to keep in touch for future posts.

Regards,

Jimmy

Top Tags