cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to create a pipe feature

Manikandan
7-Bedrock

How to create a pipe feature

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share something which will help you to create a pipe product automatically.

Type "Pipe" in command search bar, you will get a one feature which is not under ribbon. By choosing the pipe command you can create a pipe automatically. 

Hope somehow this will help you if you are designing pipe related products.

Thank you,

Manikandan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

comments are welcome...///

drawlins
5-Regular Member
(To:Manikandan)

Is this only if you have the "pipe" extension?  I typed "pipe" in command search bar and nothing came up?

It was a special part feature, removed under later versions of Creo. You can get the same effect using a datum curve through points and then sweeping a section along the curve.

It is not the same as the routed systems extension for creating piping assemblies.

drawlins
5-Regular Member

Thanks for the reply.  I suppose somehow that was an "improvement" that came out in the later versions?  I've used the swept curve through points but just looking for a simpler method.  Not something I do very often though.  Thanks!

StephenW
23-Emerald II

It's still there...Creo 3.0 Pipe command missing?

Use the config option ENABLE_OBSOLETED_FEATURES YES

drawlins
5-Regular Member

Thank you Stephen.  Are there problems with enabling this option?  I'd love to give it a try but don't want to open a can of worms that are better left closed?

It is an improvement, even if it means adding a feature to the model tree. There were problems with the pipe feature. For example, it only allowed round pipes, though they could be solid or hollow with a wall thickness. And they were prone to breaking if the points that guided them were moved, breaking in ways that made them difficult to debug/redefine. Most of the time I was using them the first thing before moving any points was to change them to solid and change the diameter to something minuscule to prevent interferences between bends.

While it seems to add an additional step, using the datum curve helps as the number of cases they fail for is much smaller than for the pipe feature. In recent use I've had curves go winging off in crazy directions in the middle of redefining a routing and even though the sweep fails and gets suppressed, I can see where the curve is going and adjust the points until it is adjusted right. Then I just resume the sweep and all is well. With the pipe I would have had to delete the pipe and start all over.

There were a number of times a pipe feature would not let me redefine it because it had failed. Catch-22.

I don't recall when they added the fillet-radius to the datum curve through points/the ability to have straight/fillet/splines through points, but it is handy to be able to combine those in ways the pipe feature did not allow.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I don't know of any problems with enabling it. If it was a hidden config option, then I would be extra cautious.

I suspect they are just not going to update the menus to the latest and greatest stuff but they still have to support the legacy commands.

Of course, this is just my opinion and speculation.

drawlins
5-Regular Member

Thank you.

Top Tags