cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

How to force an update on a part

amorales
1-Newbie

How to force an update on a part

Hi All,

I have tried to update a part in an assembly but it keeps failing. I even tried to add part from my library to my workspace i keep getting the same error. I get "Cannot update the workspace XXXX. It would cause the family with generic (part) to become incompatible"

How to do a force update?

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Anthony

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not sure about that in particular.

Main source of problems with family tables is when they don't get verified before they are saved. This is especially a problem when instances get added. Also, it's a good idea to never delete an instance from a family table. It's not that it isn't possible, just that it looks to the PDM system like a part winked out of existence. Rename with a :do-not-use suffix if it isn't needed anymore. Note that editting the name of an instance in the family table editor is the equivalent of deleting one instance and adding a new instance - so don't change the names in the family table editor.

Between the two, verify and don't delete, I never had significant problems with ordinary use.

If there is some other problem, you may need to contact PTC tech support as I have no idea how there could be different workspaces involved in a single Creo session.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I think you need to add all the instances - probably someone added an instance to the family table, one which thc current generic doesn't have, so there is a mismatch between the two that isn't being fixed.

So you need to get the generic and all the instances to make sure that all the references are included.

Thank you for your response. I believe it was the correct answer.

After further investigation the family table at a lower version A.57 (had a part in the family table) had the part and a newer revisionA.58 (did not have the part in the family table) did not have it. I am currently at A.64. I did an update now at A.65.

I now went to update the part in the assembly. I get this new error.

Now I have the Conflict Manager with the conflict description:

Family table EPMSep Family Table Master - sot23.prt has incompatible instances from different workspaces.

How do I correct this issue with the different workspaces?

Thank you.

Not sure about that in particular.

Main source of problems with family tables is when they don't get verified before they are saved. This is especially a problem when instances get added. Also, it's a good idea to never delete an instance from a family table. It's not that it isn't possible, just that it looks to the PDM system like a part winked out of existence. Rename with a :do-not-use suffix if it isn't needed anymore. Note that editting the name of an instance in the family table editor is the equivalent of deleting one instance and adding a new instance - so don't change the names in the family table editor.

Between the two, verify and don't delete, I never had significant problems with ordinary use.

If there is some other problem, you may need to contact PTC tech support as I have no idea how there could be different workspaces involved in a single Creo session.

Top Tags