cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

How-to model a 3D Jack O' Lantern in CREO

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

How-to model a 3D Jack O' Lantern in CREO

1. Create center axis, a plane at 18 degrees (360/10/2) and a horizontal sketch of a vertical pumpkin slice section which edge touch the 18 degrees plane. (you should mirror the slice on the front plane)

1.png

2. Create a vertical sketch representing the outer edge of the pumpkin on the 18-degrees plane. The end should touch the end of the earlier created horizontal line.

2.png

3. Mirror the vertical sketch on the front-plane. Close the loop by adding another horizontal plane and sketch touching the top-ends of the vertical lines.

3.png

4. Create a boundary blend and make sure the lower horizontal line is tangent to the plane it was created on.

4.png

5. Pattern the boundary blend 10x around the center axis (divided by 360 degrees)

5.png

6. Merge the quilts, and rounds and mirror the whole around the top plane and merge again.

6.png

7. Add a hole in the bottom surface for the tea-light, by extruding a cut on the top-plane

7.png

8. Create an extrude on the front plane of the cut-out face. In this case a “smiley” I imported in sketcher from a dxf file I created earlier with Adobe Illustrator using an image downloaded from google images.

8.png

9. Create three copies of the same sketch on slightly different offsets from the top-plane which will become the pumpkin-stem-base.

9.png

10. Use these sketches to create a solid blend

10.png

11. Create a curved line, or several  lines on top of the stem-base by first creating new planes under different angles.

11.png

12. create a solid sweep using the same sketch as the top of the stem-base. I used a trajpar relation in the sketcher to have the stem diameter become smaller to the end of the trajectory.

12.png

13. Thicken the surface model and add rounds between the stem and pumpkin.

13.png

You can finish the model by adding some nice appearance colors and by hiding the sketch lines.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
ryankelley
1-Newbie
(To:bp)

Awsome tutorial BJ, thanks for sharing! Hopefully this resource provides others with some guidance on how to create their own jack-o-lantern.

I've featured this doc in this week's Member Showcase Roundup - 10/23/13.

Top Tags