cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to reinforce a limited-length bevel weld?

sellis34
5-Regular Member

How to reinforce a limited-length bevel weld?

I need to join two plates at a right angle to each other using a bevel weld reinforced by a fillet weld.  The bevel weld is only located in the middle of the join and does not extend the full length of the joint surface.  I can create the bevel weld, but I cannot create the fillet weld on top of it (see image A).

sellis34_1-1602290247240.png

If the bevel weld extends the full length of the joint surface, then it is possible to create a fillet weld on top of it and combine the two welds (see image B).

sellis34_0-1602290013631.png

What needs to be done to create a fillet weld on top of a bevel weld with defined end points (limited length)?

4 REPLIES 4
RobertH
13-Aquamarine
(To:sellis34)

Strange, because it should be possible.

Did you select the top surface of the bevel weld as one of the two surfaces of the fillet weld?

WELD2.jpg

sellis34
5-Regular Member
(To:RobertH)

@RobertH 

Yes - that's exactly what I did.  I tried selecting it as a surface and as a quilt, neither would work.

Glad to see that it can be done!

I've attached the files of the test model I've been using.  BEVELWELD2 works (bevel is created out of a full-length chamfer), BEVELWELD3 does not work (bevel is created out of a partial length chamfer).

Can you notice anything different in the definition of my welds to your welds?

RobertH
13-Aquamarine
(To:sellis34)

I can't open the files probably due to different Creo versions (we have Creo 4.0).

sellis34
5-Regular Member
(To:RobertH)

Thanks - I appreciate your effort to help.

Yes - these are Creo 5.0 files.

Maybe that's the difference: Bug in Creo 5.0?

Top Tags