cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

I need model air pipes

gfraulini
17-Peridot

I need model air pipes

Hi all,
I'm new user in managing modules like piping or cabling, so I prefer ask to people with more experience.
I need to model air pipes like SMC or FESTO components, specially air pipes.
SInce now I've do this with the "pipe" feature:
1)Insert > Advanced > pipe... Hollow
2)multiple rad
3)choose external diameter and thick
4) spline, add points.

So I needed a set of points to make the path of the spline. I inserted them with an offset to coordinate system, moving them by hand and by sight to let the pipe doesn't hurt the rest of components.

All of this is not much comfortable and the pipe doesn't follow a path made by straight lines because the spline has a different trajectory. however make it with a standard feature would require much time and some external references, and I want avoid this.

Is Piping or cabling module one right way to do what I need?
Regards

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Giulio,

I've never created pipes the way your explaining. I do it by top down design. Assemble the SMC/Festo components where you want then create the pipes to go in between. Unfortunately that is not something that can be easily explained here. I found a routing pipelines tutorial at http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorial/134/routing-pipelines which shows the basics. You may be able to find others but recommend you take a training class especially since you are a new user. I'm assuming there is nobody at your location that can train you?

Bill

Hi Bill,
I've already seen this video but it seems that with "piping module" you could only do straight pipes linked with various angular curves. Instead, with "cabling module" it seems you can assign the points where you want the tube has to pass.

http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorial/3913/transizioni-del-fascio-nel-cablaggio

In fact the air pipes are more similar to electrical cables that the water pipes.

Each straight pipe section is only one feature of the pipe line. Once completed, they all link together to form the entire pipe line and made into a solid pipe part.

You can still create points in space then create the pipeline to go point to point to point instead of using extends. I use piping to create pneumatic, Teflon and bent metal air and water lines using various methods depending on the exact circumstance of that pipe line segment I'm creating. I would have to see what you are trying to do to say what I would do.

I have not used the "cabling module" in many years so cannot comment on that.

Hello Giulio,

when you setup line stock (material) for the pipes, you can allow the Shape Type to be "Flexible".

This will generate spline type routing, similar to Cabling.

Top Tags