cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Import data missing but shows up when redefined

ptc-5372897
1-Newbie

Import data missing but shows up when redefined

Hello all,

I have imported an .iges file (engine assembly) that looses much of the geometry when opend. However, when I "Edit Definition" of the import feature all of the geometry becomes visable for manipulation in the IDD... Any ideas how/why this is happening? Obviously I need to get all of the data visable.

Thanks

Mike

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-5372897)

Have to checked to make sure no layers are set to hidden?

One likely sequence:

A number of the components are not solidifying, so they stay surfaces/quilts +

config option to place surfaces/quilts on layer +

surfaces layer is hidden.

Also - the mass seems a tad high.

Thanks for the quick response, and sorry about my the spelling mistakes in the original post.

Back to the model. It's not a layer issue. I am thinking all of the purple geometry (when in IDD) are quilts. I guess that I need to solidify those objects somehow. The weird thing is the engine block was a solid when the iges file was created.

our default density is set high in our start part to immediately identify incorrect material properties.

Thanks

Mike

There's a spell-check button available during post editting, though almost no one seems to use it.

By default, there is no issues with surfaces (quilts). You can always begin with an empty model to see what happens.

It is not unusual for IGES files to "segment" when created from a large assembly. I don't ever remember an IGES file coming in to solidify properly by default.

Also have a look at accuracy. Sometimes your import file can set this value.

I much prefer STEP files for import assemblies. Normally, I get maybe one or 2 parts that remain quilts only because they were composite parts rather than assemblies.

Top Tags