cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Importing large STL file

LK_9769024
4-Participant

Importing large STL file

Hi!

One of our partners provided us an stl file for one fo their products. I would like to import it and creo is struggling with it. Are there any options to optimize the import method? Is there any way to reduce polygon number or points during import? Or maybe there is a free conversion software I can use to do it manually?

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

An stl file is just vertices and faces (triangular, as I recall). It's just data. When Creo reads it in it's just an exact copy of all the data into a model, represented with surfaces, one for each facet. It's a pretty horrible type of file to use for any further modeling - no true surfaces, a simple cylinder is a huge number of facets, etc. There's no way to read it in that makes it smaller.

You could always have the creator of the file use a larger tolerance, which would reduce the size of the file by representing things in a "chunkier" manner, but it will look worse, etc.

Sorry if you have to have an STL for a follow-on process, I've only ever used them as output files from Creo to make rapid prototype parts and the like.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:LK_9769024)

Much better if you request a STEP file.

What CAD system are they using, as that may open other options.

Top Tags