cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Independent control of part angle after pattern

scampbell
6-Contributor

Independent control of part angle after pattern

Example problem we are trying to solve.

I have a plate with 100 holes. This pattern of holes was created using a fill pattern.

I assemble a round tube into the 1st hole and fully constrain including a datum called "ANGLE".  This datum exists in the tube itself and is driven by a parameter.   I need that I need control the angle

Now, I want to pattern this tube but be able to into any of the tubes afterwards and adjust the angle by changing that plane in the tube.  All tubes used to be same angle so we would simply ref pattern and done. Now we need this control over each individual tube.

Is the best solution to create a UDF of the tube and assemble 1 at a time so the tube is it's own part for each hole?

Any other great ideas that cut down on the manual clicking and keeps the pattern a pattern?

Too bad we can't make a table and just vary the angle dimension across the pattern or by position.

Thanks!

Steve

5 REPLIES 5
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:scampbell)

Have you looked at using flexibility to modify each one individually.  I am not sure it will work on a patterned part, but it is worth a try.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:scampbell)

I don't know of a really easy way to do what you are asking for.  Using flexibility an a pattern changes all of them.

I would suggest creating Component interfaces on both part and predefining flexibility in the part for the parameter.

Each part would need to be placed individually, but placement is one click and the flexibility is defined so you only need to enter a new value for the parameter.

There is always more to learn in Creo.

I don't know how to do this with fill pattern in the "base part" and components assembled by reference to the fill pattern.  In this case, each component instance is identical.

I suggest you create a sketch filled with coordinate systems in the base part and use that as the basis of the component pattern:

1) base part with the fill-pattern1) base part with the fill-pattern

2) "trace" a sketch with coordinate systems, each aligned to the rotation angle needed for that location2) "trace" a sketch with coordinate systems, each aligned to the rotation angle needed for that location3) assemble 1st component to the 1st coordinate system3) assemble 1st component to the 1st coordinate system4) pattern, using point/sketch option, and use the 1st coordinate system as the alternate origin4) pattern, using point/sketch option, and use the 1st coordinate system as the alternate origin

Note that I only traced 4 holes in this example; obviously 100 would be quite tedious.

The traced sketch will have 100 angle dimensions in it, so could be quite a mess to display.

@scampbell wrote:

Too bad we can't make a table and just vary the angle dimension across the pattern or by position.

You can with a Table Pattern...but then you will loose the Fill Pattern ability to follow the shape of a sketch 😕

HamsterNL_0-1621935860972.png

And the Table Pattern:

HamsterNL_1-1621935910287.png

The third column is the angle of the coordinate system.

If you constrain your tube to the first coordinate system, you can then apply a reference pattern.

HTH

@scampbell, did you get a useful answer?

Top Tags