cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Inheritance: can't drive varied item by relation

akelly
11-Garnet

Inheritance: can't drive varied item by relation

CP4.  I have a part that I need to do some de-featuring on for FEA.  I also want to use different dimensions than the source model.  I don't want to save-a-copy of the original model or modify it in any way because it want it linked to the original.  In the past, I've done this with a new part that inherits the geometry the original part.  I use varied items in the inheritance feature to de-feature (suppress) what I don't need for FEA and to change dimensions.

Having trouble this time.  See attached screen shot.

In the child part, there is a feature with a dimension "T".  It has a family table and "T" has different tolerances for different instances.  The designer set up limit-type dimensions using parameters "T_MIN" and "T_MAX" .  There is a part relation T=(T_MIN+T_MAX)/2 to get the "T" geometry to the mean value.  The family table includes "T_MIN", "T_MAX" parameters and "T" dimension.  Instances have the correct geometry.

The parent part uses an inheritance feature of the generic of the child part.  "DS_T" parameter is drive-able by external software.  I'm trying to use it to change the "T" dimension in the child part.  Varied items won't let me add "T" because it is relation-driven.  I made "T_MIN" and "T_MAX" parameters varied items. Trying to drive them with a relation gives "Cannot assign to a part-driven value.".

I've used this technique before to drive a part dimension in a child from the parent.  What's different this time is I'm trying to drive a child parameter value from the parent.

What else can I do??

1 REPLY 1
akelly
11-Garnet
(To:akelly)

See attached working counter-example.  The child part was modified by removing the relation, so "T" is a driving dimension.  After updating the parent part's varied items and relations, "DS_T" value DOES change different values of "T".

This doesn't meet the goal, because of how the child was set up to have different tolerances of "T" by instance.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags