cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Issue with opening .PRT file

ptc-3566526
1-Newbie

Issue with opening .PRT file

I am attempting to access and utilize a file for a racing seat, that I am getting from this resource (http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/secure/download-model.aspx?catalogid=171&id=414423#0)

I am selecting the "3D" format, along with the "Pro/E Part/Assembly(*.prt) from the drop down option.

I have "Zipped" selected, while "Remind me to rate this model" unchecked.

After extracting the file, I am going to Creo Parametric 3.0 Student license and clicking "open file" when the file open window appears I have to change the "Type" from ".prt" to "All Files" in order to see the extracted ".PRT" file (all caps on this particular extracted file)

When I go to open the file I see the error "seat" cannot be retrieved (using "seat" here instead of actual file name, for sake of discussion)

Is this error because I am using a student version as opposed to a purchased version? Is the all caps ".PRT" as opposed to ".prt" any indication of this?

Is there ANY work around for this if so? I REALLY need this seat to work

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-3566526)

Instead of downloading a PRT file, see if you can download a STEP file instead. PRT files that were not created from Creo (Pro/e) but instead by other systems do not work well in Creo. Using a neutral file (STEP, IGES, etc.) is generally a much better solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Instead of downloading a PRT file, see if you can download a STEP file instead. PRT files that were not created from Creo (Pro/e) but instead by other systems do not work well in Creo. Using a neutral file (STEP, IGES, etc.) is generally a much better solution.

.step file worked!

thanks alot!

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Your error could also be the student version which will not read the commercial version files.

Some schools have a conversion program that the teacher only has access to.

Or, like Tom said, try a neutral file format and import that into Creo.

Top Tags