cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Issue with opening .PRT file

ptc-3566526
1-Newbie

Issue with opening .PRT file

I am attempting to access and utilize a file for a racing seat, that I am getting from this resource (http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/secure/download-model.aspx?catalogid=171&id=414423#0)

I am selecting the "3D" format, along with the "Pro/E Part/Assembly(*.prt) from the drop down option.

I have "Zipped" selected, while "Remind me to rate this model" unchecked.

After extracting the file, I am going to Creo Parametric 3.0 Student license and clicking "open file" when the file open window appears I have to change the "Type" from ".prt" to "All Files" in order to see the extracted ".PRT" file (all caps on this particular extracted file)

When I go to open the file I see the error "seat" cannot be retrieved (using "seat" here instead of actual file name, for sake of discussion)

Is this error because I am using a student version as opposed to a purchased version? Is the all caps ".PRT" as opposed to ".prt" any indication of this?

Is there ANY work around for this if so? I REALLY need this seat to work

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-3566526)

Instead of downloading a PRT file, see if you can download a STEP file instead. PRT files that were not created from Creo (Pro/e) but instead by other systems do not work well in Creo. Using a neutral file (STEP, IGES, etc.) is generally a much better solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Instead of downloading a PRT file, see if you can download a STEP file instead. PRT files that were not created from Creo (Pro/e) but instead by other systems do not work well in Creo. Using a neutral file (STEP, IGES, etc.) is generally a much better solution.

.step file worked!

thanks alot!

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Your error could also be the student version which will not read the commercial version files.

Some schools have a conversion program that the teacher only has access to.

Or, like Tom said, try a neutral file format and import that into Creo.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags