cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Large Assembly Training

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Large Assembly Training

We are in the process of assembling a very large assembly structure comprised of many Advanced Framework sub assemblies and other designed components. We have large drawings that are taking a long time to publish with CreoView Adapters.

I have looked at the PTC University training modules and it seems that we would need several of them to get close to allowing us to improve the overall system performance of these designs.

What I am looking for in the community is a recommendation of any training provider that can do a customized onsite class for probably 6 people that would incorporate the PTC University modules into a single 3 or 4 day course that go beyond the basic fundamentals of Large Assembly training.

If you can give a recommendation or contact, either reply here or send me a PM.

I will be contacting a few training companies directly (Boundary Systems, Tri-Star, Rand) once I get further information from management on what their objectives are for this training. I will post those objectives here once we have them defined.

Thanks in advance for any help.

We are currently on Creo 4 m080 and running in a Windchill environment (11.0 m030). We are actively working on an upgrade to Windchill 11.1 m020 and Creo 7.

2 REPLIES 2
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:BenLoosli)

If you haven't already, I would suggest you ready through Steven LaPha's (@slapha)  Large Assembly Management presentation from 2015. Its one of the better I have seen.

Other things to consider not mentioned in the presentation:

1. Use CYS for assembly constraints if you can

2. Consider collapsing geometry if that works for your business

3. Creo 5 has some additional drawing hyperthreading which you will benefit from (make sure to add the hlr_multithread yes dtl option to pre Creo 4 drawings)

4. Consider importing assemblies as parts (hidden config) and using envelope reps

5. Check out Creo 8's inseparable assemblies. I haven't tested this out myself but it sounds like an officially supported way to make assemblies into parts

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

As I stated in my original post, here is the most of the email I sent to solicit training proposals. 

We have some very large assemblies that have been put together with the Advanced Framework Extension.

The drawings of this top level assembly are multiple pages with many views, sections and detail views.

We know there can be improvements in our large scale modelling techniques, especially when we reference other parts of the structure that are not directly in the BOM for that assembly level.

With that as the background, we would like a proposal for a 3-5 day training class that not only teach us  how to create and use some of these  Creo tools, but also understand when and how we should use them.

I have listed a few of the tools that I am aware of in Creo that can be utilized to help and we feel that need a better understanding of how to use them.

This is the list of Creo tools that should be applied and used to help us improve our large scale assemblies.

• Copy Geometry
  • Shrink Wraps
  • Envelope parts
  • Notebook
  • Skeletons
  • Drawing View settings
  • BOM table management
  • Advanced Framework Extension

In this case, our design is a process manufacturing plant layout in 3D with building structure, component placement, piping and cabling to show the completed assembly area. In some cases there are over 3000 hardware (nuts, bolts and washers) holding a UniStrut frame assembly together. That UniStrut assembly is then placed in a higher assembly of welded tube construction. I may be able to get permission to share a PDF of the top level assembly, but I will need to check with management before I do so, if that will help in you understanding what this design looks like.

Top Tags