cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Legacy Drawings

tcusumano
12-Amethyst

Legacy Drawings

I am trying to understand legacy drawing files that are brought into a more recent release. In my example and common practice is user will open a legacy file created in a very old version and do a Save As to a new number (.drw file). Does this new file now become Creo8 or is it still using old version and old code that may have a bug in it. I know the .dtl file is static to the drawing and .prt and .asm upon regeneration will take on new version. I am trying to understand drawing behavior as well.

When I open new .drw in editor it does have Creo8 in the header. My base for question is bugs and fixes that were corrected in later releases.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:tcusumano)

All files (,prt, .asm, .drw, .frm, etc.) opened in a newer version of Creo and saved will be converted to that version file format. If the conversion code has a fix in it, then your file will be fixed. Generally, only the file format structure is updated and nothing in the 'contents' of the file will be updated. You may receive messages from the system saying that a feature has been upgraded and you should upgrade to utilize these new features. The upgrade to features is entirely up to you.

To verify a files version, open any Creo file in Notepad and look at the file. The 12th line from the top will tell you the version that last saved that file.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:tcusumano)

All files (,prt, .asm, .drw, .frm, etc.) opened in a newer version of Creo and saved will be converted to that version file format. If the conversion code has a fix in it, then your file will be fixed. Generally, only the file format structure is updated and nothing in the 'contents' of the file will be updated. You may receive messages from the system saying that a feature has been upgraded and you should upgrade to utilize these new features. The upgrade to features is entirely up to you.

To verify a files version, open any Creo file in Notepad and look at the file. The 12th line from the top will tell you the version that last saved that file.

Hi,

according to my own experience ... reusing files created in very old version in current version can cause problems. It depends on the circumstances ,,,

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:MartinHanak)

I am finding that issue with our old files created in Wildfire 5 and opening in Creo 9.

I am seeing symbols that when brought into a new drawing are as they should be, but when brought into an old file updated, the text and lines in the symbol become misaligned.

Chris3
21-Topaz I
(To:BenLoosli)

Top Tags