cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Library software?

dgarcia
11-Garnet

Library software?

We want to create a library with our most common used 3D models. This would include commercial and noncommercial (with drawing) models.

We would like to have a software that would allow us to search for a library of Names, then with aid of thumbnails and tables of dimensions it would take us to the correct model.

The commercial models can be family tables, but the models with drawings won't (too many problems with Windchill).

Normal users should be able to modify noncommercial models. Commercial models, on the other hand, will be responsibility of few selected people.

Can you recommend us any software you are happy with?

Thanks and best regards

Daniel García

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1. You need to classify your models: separating them by type and by general characteristics.

2. For each type you can create new SoftType of CAD document.

3. Each softtype can have individual set of the attributes (length, high, max pressure, etc).

4. Map parameters from the model to the attributes in Windhill

As a result information page of the model will be "a library of Names, then with aid of thumbnails and tables of dimensions".

You can use Advanced search tool in Windchill to find the model by the attributes (by dimensions and other characteristics).

And take a look at Windchill PartsLink.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Why you don't whant to store this library in Windchill?

I want to store the models in Windchill, but as normal models, not family tables.

And I also want a way to search for info in an easy way.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:dgarcia)

Why not family tables? They work great for standard items like hardware. Just remember to keep the tables simple. I have over 8K parts of standard hardware in about 15 family tables and building more. My most 'complicated' one is set screws where I have3 point designs in the same table and turn a feature on or off for cup, cone or flat points.

Family tables are OK for models like screws, washers, etc. where we have no individual drawings nor the need to keep track of revisions of each instance of the family.

But in family tables where each instance have their own drawing and their own revision we quickly run into problems when we try to modify it in any way.

How to add an instance? Well, we have to checkout / checkin the whole family table. Keep in mind that every instance is in Released state. Do we revise everything to Design, then change? This is wrong because we would get extra revisions in the other instances. Ask an admin to change the state of every instance? Then the title block of the drawings will say that the model is Design. Ask the admin to change also the state of drawings and checkout / checkin them too? A lot of extra work.

In the the end the easiest is that an admin does the work, but an admin should not be needed to do normal changes to our models.

That is the reason I say that family tables do not play well with Windchill, and we are in the process of getting rid of them, at least when there are drawings involved.

1. You need to classify your models: separating them by type and by general characteristics.

2. For each type you can create new SoftType of CAD document.

3. Each softtype can have individual set of the attributes (length, high, max pressure, etc).

4. Map parameters from the model to the attributes in Windhill

As a result information page of the model will be "a library of Names, then with aid of thumbnails and tables of dimensions".

You can use Advanced search tool in Windchill to find the model by the attributes (by dimensions and other characteristics).

And take a look at Windchill PartsLink.

Top Tags