cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Map keys and Parameters WF4 or WF5

ptc-5641567
1-Newbie

Map keys and Parameters WF4 or WF5

I am new to PRO/E so if there is an easier way to go about this please let me know. My problem is that I need to put a special text on my parts. Currently to place the text I have each letter saved as a sketch and on the palette and then I go and place each letter individual as an extrude. Could I make a parameter called part_name that was a string and was seven letters long, and then create a mapkey that would look at part_name and place the appropriate sketch from the palette?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

here is what I do you may be able to adapt it for your needs. I add this realation file_name = rel_model_name

I then create a cosmetic groove and point that to the parameter.

cg.PNG

oh that is cool i just started theextrude tool and created text with the text tool and selected the parameter. and now i have some sweet extruded letters

Nick,

I have seen that before and it works great but our machines only read a special font. Would you know how I could load this font into the text tool or the cosmetic groove feature?

oh is that all what format are your letters in now? do you have them in .fnt file? If so you could just add it to this dir C:\PTC\Creo Elements\Pro5.0\x86e_win64\text\usascii restart pro and see if it is added to the list of fonts

ok so I just did some reading and my font does not have a .fnt file. The only place this text exist is as sketches in .dwg files. Which I guess brings me back to making a mapkey to place the sketch.

If you create your text from the sketcher pallet as a extrude. how are you defining the exttrude as a boss or as a pocket? How then are you programming your machine is it at the control or are you using pro manufacuting?

This should work, but it's not as easy as one might hope.

Create a family table User Defined Feature (UDF) for the letters.

Create within the part Program (Tools/Program) a lookup replacement for the UDF family table members based on a string parameter.

You place the UDFs on the part and then the program would Replace each instance based on extracting the matching letter of the parameter.

From the Pro/Program help:

RELATIONS

INST_NAME = LOOKUP_INST ("PEG.PRT", 0, "D2", D6:0, "D1", D5:0 + 1) <- Customize for A-Z, 0-9, et al.

END RELATIONS

Then, at the component ...

ADD PART (INST_NAME)

INTERNAL COMPONENT ID 2

PARENTS = 1 (#1)

END ADD

Top Tags