cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Mapkey with user input functionality

GI
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member

Mapkey with user input functionality

Hello,

I am trying to automate some functions in Creo Parametric 2.0 with a Mapkey.

The Mapkey will be called in an Assembly and create a new part.

At this point the user shall type a part name. 

Here is the tricky part:

I would like to use the name that the user just typed in the next step in order to locate, select and activate this part at the tree (using Find).

Can this be done with a Mapkey?

Thanks!!

GI

5 REPLIES 5
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:GI)

Hi,

I am almost sure that mapkey functionality is not sufficient to record requested procedure. I guess AutoIt can help you.

Martin Hanák
GI
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

Thank you Martin, 

I have never worked with AutoIt.

I will check it out.

Best regards

GI

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Mapkeys don't have internal variables and parameters can't be used in dialog boxes where parameters are not expected.

I would instead look to layers. You can create a layer, place all the components on that layer and then, after the new component is added, use a search for all components that are not on the previously created layer. At this point the new component can be placed on it's own layer for further control and/or delete the initial capture layer.

GI
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:dschenken)

Hi dschenken,

the suggestion about the layers sounds makes sense but this would require that each assembly has to have the specific layers. 

Ideally, I would like to be able to make this Mapkey capable of working for any assembly without any special preparation.

I guess this is not possible to do with a simple Mapkey.

Thinking out loud:

Would the "OS Script" tab at the "Record Mapkey" window somehow help achieve the desired function?

(I guess this would be quite complicated and would require an expert)

dschenken
21-Topaz I

No - the mapkey creates the layer, sets the items to it, then stops and asks for the new part name. Then it can find the new part because it will not be on the layer the mapkey just made.

Top Tags