cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Measure distance between multiple points

ErikClacey
12-Amethyst

Measure distance between multiple points

Hi,

I would like to measure the total distance between multiple points (vertex) that I select. How do I do that or is it not possible?

For example, I have an assembly that I would like to protect by covering it with a big sheet of plastic. To find out what dimensions to cut the plastic to I would like to click along the perimiter of the assembly and have the measure tool add up the distances between the clicked points. Right now I have to measure one length at a time and add them manually.

If not, are there any suggestions to a different way of doing this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Try creating a datum curve through the vertices and set the type to "straight". Then you can measure the "length" of the curve feature. Tip, after the first 2 points, select the line type before picking additional points or they will all be curvature segments.

measure_curve.JPG

measure_curve_ii.JPG

Thanks. Good tip. I guess then that there is no real way of using the measuring tool only. Ie without adding new elements to the assembly.

There is another way but it too is very manual.

You can save each measurement results (point to point). This creates a measure-feature You can then create a relation that adds them all together. You could even show this sum on the screen. These values will remain dynamic.

Top Tags