cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Method to transfer forces & moments from the Point Mass to the structure

ptc-5687677
1-Newbie

Method to transfer forces & moments from the Point Mass to the structure

The application (refer attached picture) requires a point mass in space to be connected to the structure using appropriate connection type which would transfer Force & Moment to appropriate surfaces on the structure.

Issue faced: A single weighted link was used to connect the highlighted faces (with default degree of Freedom), the vertical forces (Y Component  / Gravity) getting transferred to the Face #2 and inducing more strain / stress and the Face #1 is undisturbed.

Desired Solution: I like to know the the right modeling method that would transfer the Vertical Force component to Face #1 and the Moment (caused by the offset load) to get transferred on Face #2.

Appreciate inputs for the correct modeling approach to this problem.

Thanks,

Brabu

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

I think (but I am not sure, can't test right now because of network/license problem) a weighted link can be specified in an arbitrary coordinate system, and that the d.o.f. where the link transmits force can be activated/deavtivated. So I guess it should be possible to create two weighted links with the same independent point, and choose what d.o.f each link should transmit force through. If there is a conflict with using the same independent point for two links, use some "dummy"-beam element(s) to represent whatever part of the structure you have left out, and possibly links between the endpoint(s) of those beams and the Face#1 and Face#2 in your model... As I said, I can't test anything right now becauses of some issue with our network...

/Mats L/Lund/Sweden

Top Tags