cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Missing instance in assembly file

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Missing instance in assembly file

I have a assembly model that is failing when I open it. I says that a model is missing. An instance of a family table was obsoleted, but I do not see where in the assembly that the missing part is suppose to be. When I go back into the family table, and temporarily add the instance it is looking for, the assembly model is "happy" but I still do not see where the model it was looking for is supposed to be. Here is the tree and model info screen shots both before and after adding the missing instance back into the family table. Again, I do not see where the part is suppose to be. Is there a way that it could have been hidden?

Assembly before the missing instance was recreatedAssembly before the missing instance was recreatedAssembly after the missing instance was recreatedAssembly after the missing instance was recreated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:pausob)

I renamed the file before trying this.

I decided to delete the front plane (lower in the tree and can be recreated from the right and top plane).

I suspended all of the items except the missing item.

After recreating the front plane, I was able to reattached any constraints that were looking for the front plane.

Every thing is now happy with the structure.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Try looking at the reference viewer. Sometimes it shows broken links or missing information that you can't find elsewhere. 

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

Before or after "recreating" the missing instance.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Good question.

I would have to say try whichever you have open first and see if it shows anything. Then try the other.

I would expect it show better without.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Dale_Rosema_0-1617910023606.png

This is before I recreated the missing instance.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

RMB on the dotted line there and select INFO and see if you get any clues

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Dale_Rosema_0-1617910834289.png

It looks like it is being used as a reference, but I am not sure how?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Maybe try with the instance re-created. Maybe it will give you a clue...maybe??!?!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Dale_Rosema_0-1617911187721.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Does it look like there is some sort of circular reference? 

Comp id 877 (1013_3071.prt) -> 1189_2000.asm -> 1013_3071.prt

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Trail by error.

Look at another component (one you know its there and is all good) and see if it says the same thing.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Here is an instance that is from the same family table - used twice before the "missing" instance.

Dale_Rosema_0-1617911598931.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Spoiler

Even if I could just delete it after I recreate it, I would be happy, but I cannot find it other that using the reference viewer or model information.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Welll, we've passed the level of my ignorance!

If there are any other failures or anything in the model, that would be where I would look.

I really haven't gotten anything useful to say know sooooo...if it was my problem, I would cuss a little, then maybe recreate the assy if it was easy enough.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Looks like it is Feat ID 877 in the assembly.

May be the result of replacing a part with "Remember These Components" checked.  What does the reference look like when instance is restored?  I there a trash can to remove it.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:kdirth)

It has changed the dotted line to a solid line. Where might I find that trash can?

The (2) instances of the 1013_3080 are from the same parent model and typically it would have been replaced by  "Family Table". If I come across other errors, I usually just recreate the missing instance and swap it out for the instance that it is suppose to be, but since this isn't in the family tree, I am at a loss.

Dale_Rosema_0-1617912313388.png

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Looks like this:

kdirth_0-1617913141998.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

There is no trash can to click on.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

In the assembly model info,  Look in the feature list for ID 877.  This will show you feature No. to help you find its location in the tree.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

It is in the feature list, but not in the tree:

Dale_Rosema_0-1618425300386.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I deleted 1189_2000.inf and recreated it. This is also with the instance temporarily back in the 1013_3000 family.

Dale_Rosema_0-1618425929812.png

Dale_Rosema_1-1618425983244.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Full path with the "instance not added to the table"

Dale_Rosema_0-1618427050822.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Tried something unique: I highlighted datum plane "Right" to delete from the tree. This what showed up:

Dale_Rosema_0-1618428203440.png

I did not follow through on this, but is there is a way to get the 1013_3071 highlighted for deletion without trying this.

Hi, wondering if you "followed through" on that trick which looks like a neat work-around.

I assume that hidden "suspend all" option is there, so shouldn't be too much clicking...

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I renamed the file before trying this.

I decided to delete the front plane (lower in the tree and can be recreated from the right and top plane).

I suspended all of the items except the missing item.

After recreating the front plane, I was able to reattached any constraints that were looking for the front plane.

Every thing is now happy with the structure.

That's cool.  Instead of deleting the top feature, could you simply suppress it? - because that should also trigger that "children handling" dialog box...

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

That's good to know for "next" time.  🙂

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Do you have everything checked to show in the tree filter.  It should be between 1013_380 and 1116_6011 judging by the No. in the feature list.  Turn on the Feat # column in the tree to see where it should be.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Is it in one of the groups?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

It is not in one of the groups nor in any of the subassemblies. I expanded everything all the way just to check.

Top Tags