cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Modeling Floral design

fphelps
1-Newbie

Modeling Floral design

Hello all, I am trying to get into some woodworking with a CNC router. I wanted to know if anyone had seen a video or had a video/tutorials on modeling intricate flowers or any sort of floral design? Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

I would think that 3D scanning would be much easier, more realistic, and more detailed than any parametric CAD modeling. Manipulating the scanned point cloud is also something Creo is not very good at (read: facet files are not editable in Creo).

However, I did have some luck in taking facet files into FreeCAD and created surface feature from them that can be exported as STEP or IGES files. These are sufficient to get Creo to recognize them. However, they are then 1,000's of little triangle surfaces rather than nice smooth spline shapes.

I am not sure how you would get nice smooth surfaces from a scanned point cloud. Maybe someone has some tips I haven't found yet. I'm all ears on this front.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I am not sure how you would get nice smooth surfaces from a scanned point cloud.

We have parts scanned occasionally (ATOS - "Blue Light"). In the past we've evaluated Rapidform and Geomagic, but they are both very expensive (~ $30K). PTC has a reverse engineering module, but it too is quite expensive and, according to multiple VARs, pretty tough to use. For this one function we settled on Solidworks. Their top of the line package (~ $10K) includes the ability to create best fit surfaces through point cloud data. For the little bit we do it, this works out just fine. Having one seat around also makes working with customer/vendor data much simpler when they provide native Solidworks data.

Top Tags