cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

New parts - no 3d movement

MikeSmith
1-Newbie

New parts - no 3d movement

Hi - there is possibly a very simple explanation for this but it has me stumped. Obviously I'm missing a step. After importing some 2D dxf files, I extruded the parts and saved them as *.pk2 files - now I would like to make an assembly from them and am having issues. I load two of them, do all the necessary steps (as per the model engine tutorial) but can only get 2D copilot arrows (unidirectional) available for a dynamic move. And can't get any of the align/mate etc functions to work on them either. I did the same in the tutorial with the model engine file and had no problems at all. I could dynamically move the parts with the 3D copilot wherever I wanted. And align etc function worked too. I'm attaching two of the files in the hopes that a solution can be suggested - do I have to do anything else to these files after extruding them, before saving them for them to work correctly? The are suppoosed to assemble face to face, aligned on the center hole. Many thanks, Mike
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable
(To:MikeSmith)

I just loaded the two demo parts and could move them just fine in 3D. To align them, I used Position/Mate Align/Align Axis. To create an assembly, use Part&Assy/New Assy; then move the parts into the assembly by dragging/dropping them in the structure browser.
MikeSmith
1-Newbie
(To:)

Thanks once again Claus - seems the problem is solved. I hadn't gone the 'new assembly' route, and that perhaps was the problem. There are really many steps to learn, but once it works (as it does right now!) it's great. Cheers, Mike
Not applicable
(To:MikeSmith)

Just to avoid misinterpretations: CoCreate Modeling (PE) doesn't care whether two parts which are to be aligned are within the same assembly or not. Claus
Top Tags