cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Non-retrievable files

schelld
1-Newbie

Non-retrievable files

I have some really old files I'd like to retrieve. They are located on
an CD. When I try to open one, it says: "[filename]could not be
retrieved"

Is there any way to retrieve these files ?

I've tried importing them into an Ilink workspace with the same results.

I really need some help on this one.

TIA

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This electronic transmission, including all attachments, is directed in confidence solely to the person(s) to whom it is addressed, or an authorized recipient, and may not otherwise be distributed, copied or disclosed. The contents of the transmission may also be subject to intellectual property rights and all such rights are expressly claimed and are not waived. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic transmission and then immediately delete this transmission, including all attachments, without copying, distributing or disclosing same.

EXPORT CONTROL STATEMENT:
In the event this document (or any of the enclosures) contains technical data within the definition of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations or Export Administration Regulations, it is subject to the export control laws of the U.S. Government. Transfer of this data by any means to a foreign person, whether in the United States or abroad, without an export license or other approval from the U.S. Department of State or Commerce, is prohibited.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
lwh
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:schelld)

There are two possible reasons:

- the file and path names are not valid for ProE. Try to copy the file to a different folder (e.g. Your working directory). Try to rename the file.

- the contents is either corrupt by itself (which usually can not be solved) or needs another file which is not found (e.g. a drawing format or an assembly reference). If it is a very old file, try opening it with a text editor: external references then may be listed at the beginning.

Also check the trail file (trail.txt.xx), there may be more info about the failure (e.g. missing additional files).

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

What version of Pro|E are they? I have seen on very old files that you
can't open it with he latest version. However, if you can install an
older version, it may work. Then, save the file and you should be able
to open it with WF4 or whatever you are using. If you can find a copy
of, say, 2001 or 2000i and get it running, I bet you'll be good. If you
are current on maintenance, I bet PTC can help you out too.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
dgallup
4-Participant

Assuming the file itself is not corrupt, try opening it in a text editor. The header part of the file will contain the Pro/E version number. I'm not sure how far back pro/E will read, pretty far. I just opened a release 11 file from 1993 with WF2.

If you go WAAYY back, Pro/E files were not upwardly compatible. For the first ~5 releases or so, you had to run all your files through a database converter program before you could open them in a new release. If you have something that old you will probably have to send it to PTC for conversion.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags