cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Open and save assembly component intersected by assembly level features

tleati
10-Marble

Open and save assembly component intersected by assembly level features

Hallo,

I have an assembly with components ad assembly-level features inside (holes, cuts...): is it possible to open and eventually save a component as a separate part contaning that feature inside (while keeping the original version of that component)?

thanks

bye

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:tleati)

Tommaso,

There is no simple way to do this.Once you create assembly level intersection it is not propagated to original model, so copying original model to any new name will not bring this intersection to part level.

Regards

- Vlad

tleati
10-Marble
(To:vzak)

Hello Vladimir,

thanks for your reply. I have to update you that there is a way to open the intersected part with the cutting feature in, and then you can also save a copy of it: the problem is that this new copy of the part with the cutting feature inside does not update with the feature at the assembly level--> it would be comfortable to us to have an auto-updating link for this kind of products too (as it happens for example when you rename a part in an assembly which is not in session).

bye

vzak
6-Contributor

Hi Tommaso

I am bit confused how you can get intersection after Save a Copy of the part. This can only happen if you made intersection on a part level, not on assembly level. Then such intersection will behave similar to any feature created in part with reference to assembly (like Extrude that references Datum in assembly). If you make a new copy of such component it will never update - since Save a Copy keeps no associativity to the original. If you want a new copy to be associative - use Inheritance Feature or likewise tools.

Regards

- Vlad

tleati
10-Marble

Hi Vladimir,

no I did not say that I get intersection after Save a Copy, but I was meaning these following steps:

- make a feature at assembly level (e.g. a hole)

- in the hole feature -> edit definition -> intersection tab -> visualization "part level" for the part of interest

- then I open that part and I find it including (and visible) the effect of the assembly-level hole

- I save a copy of that part (-> and that copy includes the hole obviously)

- but then I realize (and this is my problem as I wrote you): the saved copy does not update automatically if I, for instance, change the diameter of that hole at assembly level.

But you told it would be possible to fix the problem with inheritance feature, does it work with in this case (I do not know that function)?

thanks

bye

vzak
6-Contributor

Hi Tommaso

This is expected behavior, as I explained Save a Copy is not associative to the original part and will not update.

if you want copy to be associative, create a new part (empty) and insert Inheritance Feature if the component that is assembly member and is intersected by a cut.

Inheritance feature will update to any change that happens to original part, you will only need to RMB/Update it.

take some time read Help on it (Inheritance Feature)

Regards

- Vlad

tleati
10-Marble

Hello Vladimir,

yes I had already realized in fact Save As does not bring s the associativity. Thanks for your reply, I will take a look.

Greetings

Tommaso

gkoch
1-Newbie

Hello Tommaso,

have you been able to solve your issue with an inheritance feature?

Please let us know (mark Vladimir's post as Correct Answer)

Thanks,

Gunter

tleati
10-Marble
(To:gkoch)

Hello Gunter,

the fact is that, guess what?...I realized I do not have access to the Merge/Inherit feature, it is greyed out, I suppose because we do not have the creo parametric advanced license.

So I cannot even test Vladimir suggestion (as I am not sure it will do the job because there is an assembly level feature and I wanted to test whether it is imported too).

Once again, it's disappointing to get to remember that with the basic one you cannot do so many many useful things...what a pity.

bye

Top Tags