cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Opening a table pattern in excel with excel open

BrianBoman
14-Alexandrite

Opening a table pattern in excel with excel open

First, the parameter part_table_editor is set to "excel"

That said, Creo will not allow me to open and edit a table pattern in excel if I already have another excel window open.

When attempting to do that it throws this error: 

BrianBoman_0-1650890599800.png

The fix I have found (which is incredibly inefficient) is to close all open excel windows, open the table pattern, then reopen the excel files I am using to generate the data needed for the table pattern.

Does anyone know if there is a fix that will allow me to open table patterns in excel without closing all other excel windows? 

13 REPLIES 13
Kotom-Eng
15-Moonstone
(To:BrianBoman)

Here you are in the Creo Elements direct / Modeling community.

You should better move your post to the Creo Parametric to have a better chance to get an answer.

http://kotom.eng.free.fr
BrianBoman
14-Alexandrite
(To:Kotom-Eng)

Ah thanks - my mistake.

Hi @BrianBoman 

Article CS206558 may help.

Thanks

@Mahesh_Sharma Thank you for the reply. I discovered my browser option is set to chromium in the .sup file. As such, I wasn't able to test the alternate setting immediately. I will follow up.

Hello @Mahesh_Sharma ,

I was able to have our admins comment out the browser setting in the config.sup to do some initial testing. Interestingly enough both options (ie_in_sep_process and mozilla_based_browser) no longer seem to be recognized as valid settings. I checked both of them and they were both flagged (as seen in the pictures) as invalid options. I looked in the config options under the embedded help and they are not mentioned there. I also checked proesite.com/windows_browser_type and found the same. My working directory does not seem to be changing once I launch Creo either. That said, I did try setting it to be my desktop over my working folder but it didn't fix the issue. Any additional thoughts?

mozilla_based_browser_invalid.JPG

ie_in_sep_process_invalid.JPG

config_pro_options.JPG

TomU
23-Emerald IV

That article is definitely wrong.  Those values do not exist in Creo 6.

BrianBoman
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

@TomU Thank you for confirming. 

Hi @BrianBoman 

You may try changing the startin directory to a folder with read and write access. Also, test a creo session without any config files/customization. 

Thanks 

hi mahesh, I was a former admin for this environment, and I still have some access as a user

Creo Parametric is starting inside a folder with read/write access, the .ptb file is being dropped in the working directory as expected.

When Creo Parametric is the one opening up Excel, it finds the file without issues.

An Excel instance opened outside of Creo Parametric is not going to be in the same working directory as Creo Parametric. However, opening Excel from a command prompt in the same working directory does not seem to resolve the issue, when Creo Parametric commands that Excel instance to open the file, Excel cannot appear to find it.

The following also does not work

- Close Excel completely using taskkill

- Open Excel using the table editor in Creo Parametric (succeeds)

- Before closing Excel, open a new window in that Excel environment. (i.e. all environment variables, working directory, are preserved).

- Close the Excel window with the ptb file. Creo Parametric does not notice. Manually close the system window on the Creo Parametric side. The other Excel window from this same session is still up.

- Try using Creo Parametric to open the table editor again in Excel. This fails, despite the fact this Excel session was previously opened by Creo Parametric itself/

It would appear some sort of call error is happening when Creo Parametric commands an open Excel session. Not sure if it's a race condition or some asynchronous call misbehavior.

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I
(To:awei3)

Hi @awei3

I think this issue may need some investigation on user machine. Possibly a  case with TS may help.

Thanks.  

@Mahesh_Sharma Are you suggesting that because you have confirmed you are able to open a pattern table in excel with an instance of excel already open? Can you directly confirm that it works for you?

Every single machine I have tried this on has had the same exact issue.

mkajdan
14-Alexandrite

I can confirm that a table pattern can open if there is already a different excel file open.  I didn't see anywhere what version of Creo you are using but we are on 8.0.2.0 if it matters at all.

mkajdan_0-1651690453215.png

BrianBoman
14-Alexandrite
(To:mkajdan)

Thank you for that data point. We are running Creo 6. 

Top Tags