cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Opening educaton edition templates in full version

ptc-2888568
1-Newbie

Opening educaton edition templates in full version

Hi all, I have a bit of a problem - I've recently started University, and we've just started playing with CAD stuff (just finished 6 weeks with the good ol' drawing board - wow that makes me appreciate CAD now, lol). Now I've been using ProE (Wildfire 4.0) for some time now and even done a bit of professional work with it through my dads business (I sometimes help out), so I'm well versed in it all, and figured I'd just do my assignments (Wildfire 3.0 at Uni) at home... Problem though - They're using the educational edition; which includes sheets and templates that I'm supposed to use to submit them with (adds the Uni logo in the blue prints, etc). But I can't open/use them in our version... I spent an hour making up my own for the first assignment, but each assignment they keep changing or want some other submission style. I really don't want to have to do this for the next 5 assignments (not to mention future years). x.x What can I do? Is there some way to convert them? Or can we get the education edition some how?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

You cannot use models or drawings/templates across platforms professional vs. ED versions. You will need to create templetes/formats and start models in the ED version and store them for use in that program. It is rather easy to create that format to use in class. Just create new format, add the general items for format and then save it in a directory that you can access always. When creating a new drawing just select that format you created and your drawing will now look like you want.

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. Thankfully the assignments are *extremely* simple compared to what I've worked on before, and I can whip it up in under 30 mins (we have 2 weeks for them, lol). I reconfigured the Uni ones to my liking so it feels like my home one - makes it considerably easier to do it all at Uni. Of course now I can't open them at home - which is a little annoying, but not really needed (I'm just being picky). I did read something about shared licenses or something and might look into that if it annoys me too greatly. I couldn't find much about it (didn't look into it much), but something about floating modules... Or something... I can "borrow" the Uni licenses on my home computer? Does this sound right? Something like that. x.x

Alex I think your best bet for having the student license at home is to find another copy of the student software and install. You can purchase a copy or you might be able to find a free copy of the student software. Many PTC classes offer training CD's (student copies). The online training has downloadable copies. Now if you only need to submit a print copy of your work, then you could just make a pdf version of the work you have done. You cannot trace the source that way, but typically the student software places a watermark on the print saying student version. You could replicate that as well. These are work arounds for having two versions of software to work with. Good Luck Eric

The only way to interchange (modern) Pro/E files between commercial and student editions is with the EDU_COM_Convert module. (Available as a floating module with university-licenced installations of Pro/ENGINEER.) If you can contact the CAD administrator for your university, it should be a simple matter for them to save versions of the templates that are compatible with the commercial version. (Open the file in the university edition with EDU_COM_Convert enabled, then save: it is now a commercial edition file.) Be aware, however: if you're submitting your (commercial-version) work as a Pro/E file, only university and commercial editions will be able to read it. Make sure that your file is going to be marked on one of those editions, and not a copy of the student edition. (Or, get it converted back, by saving it with a copy of the university edition with EDU_COM_Convert disabled.)
Top Tags