cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

PDF Line weight pdf_linecap and pdf_linejoint

scott_rockwell
5-Regular Member

PDF Line weight pdf_linecap and pdf_linejoint

Has anyone else seem these issues with PDF files being created from CREO?

There are many different paths that all lead to the same result for me but in this case I used FILE, SAVE AS, EXPORT, PDF.

The first image show the default result show in Acrobat using the PDF EXPORT SETTINGS of 600 dpi, no pen table,linecap=butt, linejoin=miter.

Zooming in, note the poor line quality.

The second image is from the same file but with line weight turned off in Acrobat (ctrl+5).  This is the image I prefer but there seems to be no option to make this setting stick in the file or Acrobat.  Worst of all, printing always comes out as shown in image #1.

Image #1

Image #2

I'm almost hoping its caused by my version of ACROBAT PRO X.

I'm my recent past, I've used POSTSCRIPT printing and then Distiller to generate the PDF.  This always produces the smallest files size but CREO does something differently and outputs are now showing CRLF characters.  See my post PDF creation - PRINT VS EXPORT

TIA,

Scott R

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Your lines would look nicer if you used rounded line joins and line caps.

The reason they look better with line thickness turned off is when the thickness is turned off Acrobat sets the line to 1 pixel thickness regardless of zoom. You can make a similar effect by making the lines very thin and to do that you need to either create a pen table with small values or use pen#_weight (I forget the exact config option) that is used when the pen table isn't. When the thickness is less than 1 pixel on the screen, Acrobat will substitute 1 pixel width.

In your example, I think there is some other character being used, possibly because you are using a TrueType font that doesn't have a character matching the one being used - I suspect this is because the font is not being embeded in the PDF output, so Acrobat doesn't know how to show it. It is possible that PTC has changed what they output, but I don't think that's the problem.

Internally, there is no 'CR-LF' displayable character in Postscript or PDF. You can read the references at Adobe. I recommend starting with the Blue Book. http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/sdk/sample/BlueBook.ziphttp://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/ps/sdk/sample/index_psbooks.html

scott_rockwell
5-Regular Member
(To:dschenken)

This is what I get when I use Arial font and print to Post Script then use distiller, the CRLF squares at the end of each line of the note are the problem - why bother you ask - this file is literally 1/2 the size of exported PDFs.

Hi,

it seems to me that I met "CRLF squares problem" in the past. Maybe the problem was caused by Creo bug during Postscript file creation. Did you try opening Postscript file in Ghost View (GSview) program ?

MH

Martin Hanák

Try creating and uploading a postscript file with just two characters with a CRLF between them. Perhaps it will be more clear what is happening.

Hi,

it looks like the problem is related to the border of x-section. Lines related to the hole are displayed correctly. If I am right then you can report the problem to PTC Support as a bug.

MH

Martin Hanák

The interior lines for the hole on the PDF mutually overlap closing the gaps.The lines end just as poorly, but that result is masked.

For pdf export I'd try pdf_linecap=round. See attached pdf file for the result.

Regarding the result of the postscript print is it possible to upload a postscript file?

Top Tags