cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Parameters update sequence in assembly

Ketan_Lalcheta
19-Tanzanite

Parameters update sequence in assembly

Hello

We have master assembly and it has 7 parts... We are trying to achieve parametric model for same.

Query is that what could be the better sequence to update parameters into assembly? Let me try to elaborate a bit.

Assembly a.asm has 7 parts assembled as part1.prt to part7.prt... There are few parameters which need to be updated for a assembly and parts.. what could be better sequence to update parameters...? One should update it as first from parameters of last part part7.prt and gradually moving towards part1.prt and at last parameters of a.asm....? Is this better sequence to update parameters into assembly or something else should be followed ?

Additionally within part also , parameters affecting last most features should be updated first compared to parameters affecting top most features.. is this a good practice?

Feel free to ask for any clarification in case of any confusion.

Thanks and Regards
Ketan
11 REPLIES 11

@Ketan_Lalcheta 

If there are no relation in parameters of part and assembly, I think it should not matter which parameters are updating first.. 

Hi

Parameters are used in relation and pro program.. within part, parameters can show hide features and updates feature dimensions also

Thanks and Regards
Ketan

Are you using EXECUTE statements?

Sorry but could not get what do you mean by execute...

I am planning to update a parameter and regenerate it before updating subsequent parameters.. I am open to change methodology also but my concern is to know what minimum regeneration time is and regeneration failure should allow to go back to previous model state

If your parts have INPUT parameters, then you can use EXECUTE statements in your assembly to drive the INPUT parameters of the parts which are in your assembly.

You only have to regenerate your assembly once, the EXECUTE statements will do the rest. All your parts will update/regenerate.

EXECUTE statements in the PTC Help file

Example:

a.assembly

INPUT

PART_1_HOLE YES_NO

PART_2_WIDTH NUMBER

PART_3_NAME STRING

END INPUT

RELATIONS

/* Make calculations, etc, at assembly level

END RELATIONS

EXECUTE PART PART1

HOLE = PART_1_HOLE

END EXECUTE

EXECUTE PART PART2

WIDTH = PART_2_WIDTH

END EXECUTE

EXECUTE PART PART3

NAME = PART_3_NAME

END EXECUTE

ADD PART PART1

END ADD

ADD PART PART3

END ADD

ADD PART PART3

END ADD

-----

Part1.prt

INPUT

HOLE YES_NO

END INPUT

etc.

-----

Part2.prt

INPUT

WIDTH NUMBER

END INPUT

etc.

-----

Part3.prt

INPUT

NAME STRING

END INPUT

etc.

I misunderstood... I don't have input into assembly... Only parameters into parts... I thought writing only execute into assembly would regenerate parts also.

I am gonna update all parameters through toolkit project... So, effort to regenerate is not pain area for me... Code of application will do it for me... My concern is to know that what is the best sequence to update parameters in order to revert back to main model if updated value of parameter causes model to fail.
But

Wow... Execute is something new I came across... I will definitely try this once..

Our models are driven bij 1200+ INPUT parameters (we use an Excel spreadsheet to calculate those 1200+ parameters). We drive a couple hundred parts, which contain up to 20.000 features.

You use execute in this scenario...?

By any chance parameter number 100 causes model to fail , then after updating all parameters at a go allows you to revert back to previous model state when there was no failure with original previous values of parameters?

In that case, we probably changed something in Excel (changed a width, enabled an option). So to revert back, we have to change the things in Excel back to the previous value and regenerate the assembly.

Top Tags