cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Parametric Molecule

ptc-1077260
1-Newbie

Parametric Molecule

OK, I am experimenting with some fun designs and well trying to learn a good way to pattern objects/features in a 3D space instead of just patterning holes, or pattering and projecting along curved surfaces. Long story short, I am wanting to parametricly drive some "molecules" or lattic structures. Before I hack away at this, was curious if anybody has some good tips/tricks from their learning.

Thanks in advance!

James

This link is for a google search to help explain the types of shapes I want to make. I couldn't seem to paste screen shots into this thread.

Google Images Searchhttps://www.google.com/search?q=3d+model+molecule+proe&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=995&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_CNQVMfkMcXeoASAmILACQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=3d+model+molecule+diamond&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=SFbhYO4bSTYPGM%253A%3Bap6INHNP73h_nM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.edinformatics.com%252Fmath_science%252F...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Hi James,
You can select dimensions of features to increment (for example, a datum
point with X, Y and Z dimensions), then assemble or model a ball around
the first datum point and do a Reference pattern (so you end up with a
ball at each datum point), then add spoke off the first ball and pattern
again (just be careful what you dimension to when creating the ball or
spokes - only reference the first datum point or a reference that stays
constant throughout the pattern). If you want to go more random you can
use a pattern table to drive the 3 dimensions of your datum points. This
way you can use Excel to create the datum points (the centres of the
balls) wherever you want as a table.

I've only done this many years ago on an old version of ProE so don't know
the exact current terminology. If you run into problems I can give you a
bit more detail.

cheers
--
Mark von Huben

Principal Mechanical Engineer
Cochlear Ltd
1 University Ave
Macquarie Park, NSW, 2113
Australia

p +61 2 9425 5210

Hi Mark,

That was my first approach, but wow I need a machine upgrade to process that pattern. So than I thought to make my parameter driven knuckle and then pattern on a 2D plane and then pattern again to go across. No such luck, ProE doesn't allow double patterning of grouped items. I think I will go back to the totally driven 3D pattern with Excel table. That should be more flexible later on.

[cid:image001.png@01CFF2D4.F4F94880]

Hi James,

If you're running into computer processing power limitations you might try using surface features instead of solids. In my experience large patterns of surfaces regenerate much faster than solids.

Mike Foster
ATK
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:ptc-1077260)

That reminds me of the tetrahedral model that I made.

Top Tags