cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Part Number in Notes

Ben8
9-Granite

Part Number in Notes

I have similar question to this, but different.

Lets say my assembly has the following structure:

MAIN ASSEMBLY

--SUBASEEMBLY1

--PART1 (inside SUBASSEMBLY1)

--PART2 (inside SUBASSEMBLY1)

--SUBASEEMBLY2

--PART3 (inside SUBASSEMBLY2)

--PART4 (inside SUBASSEMBLY2)

I want a note to say the name of highest level model tree element, not the lowest level. The method described in this topic results in lowest level item appearing in the note: if i point it to PART1 then the note says pn of PART1

I want to show the PN of the highest level model tree item PN to where the pointer is attached. So my goal is to attach the note to PART1 or PART2 and have the note saying the PN of SUBASSEMBLY1

I am using expression:

&PTC_WM_NUMBER:att_mdl

I am on Creo 9

Is this possible? If not directly, then any are there any workarounds how to achieve this?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:Ben8)

Hi,

when you place leader note into assembly, Creo asks you to Select geometry, points, coordinate systems or axes. 

Please replay uploaded assembly_note.mp4 video. I added datum point into top assembly and then attached &DESCRIPTION:att_mdl note to it.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chris3
21-Topaz I

There is no next higher assembly look up function. I am not sure how that would even work because a component could have infinite number of subassemblies that it reports to.

The first thread that you linked to mentions using session IDs. You don't mention what version of Creo you are on but in newer 9?+ session IDs can be added as a column in the model tree. If you can't do that then you can load them in as a text file. See this:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/Session-id/m-p/67624/highlight/true#M12248 

Once you know the session IDs then you can just call out the sub-assemblies session ID in your note.

Aside from that you are talking about a custom toolkit application (ie programming) to do what you want.

RPN
17-Peridot
17-Peridot

You may check this , this shows a technic, displaying the parent by  Pro/Report.
The idea to do this with  parameter, is probably not that good😉

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

when you place leader note into assembly, Creo asks you to Select geometry, points, coordinate systems or axes. 

Please replay uploaded assembly_note.mp4 video. I added datum point into top assembly and then attached &DESCRIPTION:att_mdl note to it.

Martin Hanák

Thank you Martin - this is pretty neat workaround! I wouldn't have come up with this myself but I will definitely use this in the future.

@RPN  and @Chris3  thanks for your help as well, but this time ill mark Martin's answer as a solution.

Top Tags