cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Pattern: Countersink vs Counterbore/Countersink

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Pattern: Countersink vs Counterbore/Countersink

Recently changed a part modeled with a countersink to a countersink with a counter bore. It is a simple part with this feature patterned once. By doing this, though, the pattern is lost. Why would this happen if all of the changes are make within the "Hole" feature for the first hole?

Dale_Rosema_0-1603804057957.png

Dale_Rosema_1-1603804072949.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I've seen that before.  It seems like if you make any changes to the actual geometry (not just a size change) it creates a completely different feature.  I believe it changes the FID, and everything else.  Bummer!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

How did you create the feature? Can you attach the part file or show the model tree?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Tdaugherty)

Here is how it was done.

I clicked on the counterbore icon.

I updated the circled values in the chart.

I accepted the change.

The pattern failed.

Dale_Rosema_0-1603810623570.png

I'm wondering if you forgot to change one of these values. I'm guessing they are the same number. If they are, the pattern will fail. The ID of the Cbore needs to be smaller than the OD.

Tdaugherty_0-1603811248175.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

@Tdaugherty wrote:

I'm wondering if you forgot to change one of these values. I'm guessing they are the same number. If they are, the pattern will fail. The ID of the Cbore needs to be smaller than the OD.

The ID of the Cbore needs to be smaller than the OD of the Csink? The CSink is at the bottom of the Cbore.

Check out this video. Maybe it will clear things up. 

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Question: Do you have to download the video, or can you just click on it? If it is just click on it then I am getting an error.

I tried a different way. If this doesn't work, I can send it to you through email. 

After reading that more carefully, you are correct. It's OD of Cbore to OD of Csink. My bad. Sorry about that. 

I've seen that before.  It seems like if you make any changes to the actual geometry (not just a size change) it creates a completely different feature.  I believe it changes the FID, and everything else.  Bummer!

Try creating a sketch before you create your hole, in the sketch create Datum Points (the ones toward the left of the ribbon not the ones toward the right), set them where you want your holes.

Create your hole, referenced to one of the sketched points.

Pattern the hole, set pattern type to Point (see the pull down) type setting From sketch and select the sketch you made of the points in the model tree.

Tested & works in Creo 6.0.5.1

I'm finding the sketched point approach a more robust way to pattern in those cases where it can be used.

This sounds like a great thing if I was making a complex part. This is simply a anti-marring pad on a fixture and I just want the heads of the flat head much below the surface. I just came across this when modifying the hole from large Csinks to the Cbore/Csinks by the advice of a machinist. Then the pattern failed (on about 6 different parts) and the parts on at least as many risers.

It sounds like simply making a revolved cut would be more robust for you.  This way, you can change the sketcher section entities, and the only references that COULD fail are any surfaces or edges that disappeared.

I'm not a huge fan of the "hole" command, and this is just one of the reasons.  I may stop using it altogether.

Best of luck!

Top Tags