cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Preparing for introduction of PDM/PLM system (part I, duplicates)

llam
2-Guest

Preparing for introduction of PDM/PLM system (part I, duplicates)

We are preparing for the introduction of a PLM/PDM system.

Our directory based "vault" was investigated and, as expected, there are "some" problems

One of them being duplicates.
Instances from family tables were saved as a individual model file.
Also the opposite occured, inidividual models were also added in family tables.

I recently have been put in charge of (garbage, coming to america) removal of the duplicates.

First thing I did put those duplicates outside the scope of the search-path.
Next step is to identify which assembly contains an instance and which contains the individual part-file.

If I remember things well from way back when there wasn't a bytecount in the model files
internally
family table items are referenced like "3 3 instance<generic>"
individual files are referenced like "3 3 modelname"

For my investigation I'm using a DOS fgrep and a windows grep to identify
which assemblies refer to the individual file
I've created a dos batch file that does this for all found duplicates

fgrep -r -n -x "3 3 800100030" d:\prosrv\rel > c:\temp\800100030.txt
basically what this does is
list all files that contain a string "3 3 model-name"
recurse through directory d:\prosrv\rel
redirect output to file model-name.txt
This fgrep does not see the difference between "3 3 instance<generic>" and "3 3 modelname"
nor does it allow me to specify where the search string should be located in the line.

The windows grep allows me to specify that the search-string need to be at the beginning and the end of a line
but only allows me to search for a single string at the time

So both methods have their pro and cons

Having identified which assemblies I need to have a look at and
having the duplicates removed from the search-scope
I noticed that all the assemblies open properly and that they al of a sudden refer to object from family table.
I opened and saved an assembly and noticed (wordpad) that the internal notation of the duplicated individual partfile
changed from
"3 3 modelname" to
"3 3 instance<generic>

Question :
Is pro capable of switching from individual partfile to instances from a family table ?
Does my memory still serve me well about the internal model notation
3 3 modelname
3 3 instance<generic>

Are there other mehods of investigating what I'm trying to achieve here ?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
ptc-46674
1-Newbie
(To:llam)

Question :
Is pro capable of switching from individual partfile to instances from a family table ?
Does my memory still serve me well about the internal model notation
3 3 modelname
3 3 instance<generic>

I believe the assembly is just looking for the file name. I had run into this before at a previous company, and as long as the assembly finds the file name it is looking for it will try to place it in the assembly. That being said there is no guarantee that the 2 files are the same, so the assembly may fail if it can't place the component, or some of the children of the component may fail..

Dave McClinton

MCAD System Admin.

Mckesson Automation

724 741 7760

> Question :
> Is pro capable of switching from individual partfile to instances
> from a family table ?

I don't believe so.

An incident on Friday raised my hopes - in copying an assembly I
inadvertently created individual saves of two instances, which were then
referenced in my new assembly. I deleted these and copied the family
table part, and the assembly still worked, much to my surprise.

However, I then tested the principle with a new circlip size (all our
circlips are currently modelled individually, and we'd love to convert
them to family tables). I first modelled the clip as a standalone part,
then assembled it; then after erasing the assembly I renamed the clip to
a generic name and added the original name as an instance. Re-opened
the assembly and it fell over.

Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Ricardo (save for reports and other documentation formally approved and signed for release to the intended recipient). Only Directors are authorised to enter into legally binding obligations on behalf of Ricardo. Ricardo may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails and other telecommunications systems.
By replying to this e-mail you give consent to such monitoring. The recipient should check e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Ricardo accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail. "Ricardo" means Ricardo plc and its subsidiary companies.
Ricardo plc is a public limited company registered in England with registered number 00222915.
The registered office of Ricardo plc is Shoreham Technical Centre, Shoreham-by Sea, West Sussex, BN43 5FG.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Top Tags