cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Ramp Help

ToddSaladyga
1-Newbie

Ramp Help

Does anyone know if there is a simple way to mill a slot? I would think I could draw a line at the depth I want, use Trajectory mill, pick the line and use the ramp parameter to drive the tool in a zig zag motion from the top of the part to the bottom of the slot. Any help on this subject would be appreciated. Again,

I am NOT looking for some long work around, just a quick down and dirty slot.

Thank you for any help I can get.

Todd

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Here is one way to do this. I did have to shrink your tool diam by a very small amount to fit it into the slot. If you have any questions about this please let me know.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Attach the part with a slot that you want to cut to this post and i can show you how to ramp your tool in.

Nick,

I am trying to program a slotting routine for this part. I would like to program a toolpath on one slot and pattern it. If we could ramp the tool in, then we wouldn't have to drill first thus eliminating an extra tool change.

Thanks,

Todd

Ok I understand but I need you to attach the part c04098a05... as well

Sorry Nick,

I didn't realize.

Here is one way to do this. I did have to shrink your tool diam by a very small amount to fit it into the slot. If you have any questions about this please let me know.

I would also highly recomment that when working with models in manufacturing that you turn your accuracy to absolute. That will save you alot of headaches if you have tight tolerances on your parts.

You can find that setting under

FILE

PROPERTIES

ACCURACY

You can right click on the pattern DELETE PATTERN and the edit the volume milling sequence to whatever speeds and feeds you want, change your ramp angle and then right click and PATTERN change the dimension box to axis click the z axis change the # to 6 at 60 degree and check mark

Nick,

This looks awesome! Now if you don't mind, Could you please tell me step by step what you did? I see you created a volume but I am not sure how you didi it. I am fairly new to Pro Nc and we don't have very good support except for this site.

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

Todd

i'm Glad i could help. Defining mill volumes and windows is pretty strait forward. The help center would be a good place to start when you open it go through

PRO/ENGINEER FUNCTIONAL AREAS

MANUFACTURING

NC MANUFACTURING

MILL GEOMETRY

I will run you thru my method. I clicked the mill volume button then the extrude tool button. Next I clicked the red placement tab and the define button. Now you can select the bottem of the pocket as your sketching plane and click the sketch button.

It will probably spin the part around but that doesn't matter. You can close the references dialog and say yes (the ref will be filled in from the slot edges)

now look for the USE tool (its on the side but you could go to the top sketch menu - edge -use) then i selected loop and put my curser on the bottem surface of the slot and clicked. there is a blue check mark on the right side click that. now you can enter a value or a better solution would be to exturde to a surface and select the top of the slot. then just select the green check mark and you have a mill volume.

I did think of a better way to define this in case the number of slots changes. Your program could update it self automaticaly. let me know if you want to see that.

Nick,

I got it! Thanks a million! I would be very interested to see your idea about the self update

Thanks,

Todd

So i created a mill volume and trimed it to the part that should allow for most changes within that area

I am not sure how you did it tho. I see you created two circles but how did you create the reference circles.

Also, how does this automatically update, I suppose it's when the slot widths are changed? Or is it when anything inside those circles are changed?

Todd

.I made a quick video showing how I created the volume. So you could edit your part now maybe change the number of slots and the depth and the volume should update appropriately. You might have to regenerate the model

Cool,

Can I see it?

Top Tags