cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Re: Parameter driven notes

Askin4aFriend
7-Bedrock

Re: Parameter driven notes

I am trying to do this with &MODEL_NAME:ATT_MDL and cannot get it to work.  I am missing something?  I would prefer to do this than to look at the session ID every time.

11 REPLIES 11

Hi Martin,

I can't seem to get :att_mdl or :att_body to work.  Do you have any tricks?

Thanks

@Askin4aFriend wrote:

Hi Martin,

I can't seem to get :att_mdl or :att_body to work.  Do you have any tricks?

Thanks

No trick, but it requires Creo 8.0 and it has to be a leader note.

Ah I missed the Creo 8 part.  Thanks for the response.  I thought the :att_mdl functionality went further back though?  I can't get something &model_name:att_mdl to work.  I'm hoping to not have to look up the session ID every time.  And more importantly I want the note to break (or need a new attachment) if the part changes.

Thanks

@Askin4aFriend wrote:

Ah I missed the Creo 8 part.  Thanks for the response.  I thought the :att_mdl functionality went further back though?  I can't get something &model_name:att_mdl to work.  I'm hoping to not have to look up the session ID every time.  And more importantly I want the note to break (or need a new attachment) if the part changes.

Thanks

yes,  only :att_body was new, you should get the other  flavors for model, component, etc to work in earlier versions.

Have a look at the help section here: System Parameters for Drawings (ptc.com)  

Thanks, that section has been helpful for revamping my drawing templates.  

This picture shows what I keep getting when trying to call out a specific part in an assembly drawing.  It's a leader note attached to the part I'd like to call out.  I have tried all the different parts in the assembly, tried adding the part model into the drawing, tried just "&model_name:att" (I think this is how it used to work a long time ago?), tried "&model_name:mdl", tried caps and no caps.  Just can't seem to get it to go.  Do you know if there's a hidden config option to allow this to pull through or something?

Askin4aFriend_0-1636050565102.png

Thanks Martin! 

no config required.  can you try with a leader note in 3D and double-check our part parameters actually list the desired parameter?

I think the problem you are having is the system paramter you are trying to use. 

Try with a user defined parameter in your model. I believe it works. In my case, I used our description parameter and it works as expected.

StephenWilliams_0-1636053314832.png

StephenWilliams_1-1636053356675.png

Thanks Stephen.  I just discovered this as well when testing it out in 3D as Martin suggested.  I can get user defined parameters to show up on a per part basis, just not the system parameters.  I'm confused as to why this is the case.  Unless I'm misinterpreting the functionality? 

The link Martin sent above is for System Parameters for Drawings.  I can get things like &view_scale and &format to work on the drawings and I haven't made those user defined parameters.  I can also get &model_name (with no ":att_mdl") to work, but it only gives me the assembly name that I used to create the drawing.  It seems that &model_name:att_mdl really only makes sense for assembly drawings where there are multiple parts since &model_name will work for both the assembly name in an assembly drawing and on the part drawing level.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

Then I thought maybe &model_name was giving me the drawing name, which is the same as the part name.  So I did a test with a new drawing with a different title than the part.  Added a leader note to the part and it still gave the part model name.  So that's not it.  

If I have to create a user defined parameter I think I might as well use the session ID. 

@Askin4aFriend wrote:

I am trying to do this with &MODEL_NAME:ATT_MDL and cannot get it to work.  I am missing something?  I would prefer to do this than to look at the session ID every time.

Hi,

please explain in more detail what you want to achieve. Attach some picture.

Martin Hanák

Are you trying to put that information in a note or a table on the drawing?

Sorry, I realized the question was somewhat vague.  I have had some dialogue in another thread about this here:  Re: Multibody - How to display, use or call-out a ... - PTC Community.

I am trying to do this with a leader note.  I want to attach a leader note to a part in an assembly drawing and be able to call out the part specifically without having to search for the session ID. I am also hoping this method would either update or break the note if the part changes. 

Stephen suggested that this works for user defined parameters.  I had just discovered this with some experimenting myself. This was my response and some more detail about the issue:

"Thanks Stephen.  I just discovered this as well when testing it out in 3D as Martin suggested.  I can get user defined parameters to show up on a per part basis, just not the system parameters.  I'm confused as to why this is the case.  Unless I'm misinterpreting the functionality? 

The link Martin sent above is for System Parameters for Drawings.  I can get things like &view_scale and &format to work on the drawings and I haven't made those user defined parameters.  I can also get &model_name (with no ":att_mdl") to work, but it only gives me the assembly name that I used to create the drawing.  It seems that &model_name:att_mdl really only makes sense for assembly drawings where there are multiple parts since &model_name will work for both the assembly name in an assembly drawing and on the part drawing level.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

Then I thought maybe &model_name was giving me the drawing name, which is the same as the part name.  So I did a test with a new drawing with a different title than the part.  Added a leader note to the part and it still gave the part model name.  So that's not it.  

If I have to create a user defined parameter I think I might as well use the session ID."

Top Tags