cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Reducing STL file size

jvo-2
1-Newbie

Reducing STL file size

I was wondering if it is possible to reduce the file size of a stl without damaging the integrity of its detail. I am trying to import multiples of the same file without crashing my WF5. Is there another software I could use that could do what I am looking for? Is this possible?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:jvo-2)

Are you looking to edit the files? If so, .stl files are not friendly for editing.

Thanks, Dale

I do have some original files. When I send them out I do it in the stl format. Is there anything I could do if I do have the original part files to reduce the size of the stl?

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

A reduction in chord height will reduce the file size. Typically I will set the chord height to zero, then Creo will issue a warning about the minimum and will set the chord height to the minimum for me. I then hit apply and check the file size. If it's excessive, I back it off in very small increments until it's manageable. Yes, it's technically a reduction in quality, but typically the difference isn't perceptible.

I'd agree with Dale, an STL file is great for rapid prototyping, horrible for editing or simply manipulating in Creo. Where you can, use STEP files instead.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

As someone who used to do a lot of prototyping, you just have to play with the settings for triangulation. Go with something that you are comfortable with - the size of the detail on your part compared to overall size will change this also. Small parts with small details - more precise triangulation. The larger the part and not as fine a details, you can go larger. The only caution is the larger you go, the more circles will be faceted (the will all be faceted - think triangles), but the more you will notice it.

Thanks,

Dale

dschenken
21-Topaz I
jvo-2
1-Newbie

Yes stl files not stp files

Top Tags