cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Reorientation of the coordinate point xyz planes

us
4-Participant
4-Participant

Reorientation of the coordinate point xyz planes

Hi all,

Actually i need to re orient the X Y Z plane(Default coordinate point) as mentioned in the below picture. And i do not want to delete the existing default coordinate point. So what i have done means, Just I have rotated the coordinate point(XYZ) as per my requirement and set the views and renamed the planes also. Now i have achieved what i expected.

But the problem is the standard orientation(Ctrl+D) view, I have modified all other views. When i give standard orientation view the model or assembly view shows reversible & improper view.

I have not able to modify the standard orientation view. Kindly suggest

1) how to modify standard orientation(Ctrl+D) view.

or

2) How to achieve the required view xyz coordinate point with the existing coordinate point.

3) The below mentioned x y z directions are correct? And what is the correct x y z directions?

4) What is global coordinate system directions?

5) What system PTC follows and why?

X Y Z views in coordinate point.jpg

Expecting your suggestions guys. Thanks in advance

By

Uday

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GabrielZaha
12-Amethyst
(To:us)

As David already pointed out the default orientation has no direct correlation with the coordinate system. It all depends on how the start part and start assembly were built.

In addition to this, Pro/E default orientation of models is controlled by the orientation option in config.pro. This option has three possible values: trimetric, isometric and user_defined

orientation trimetric (default)

trimetric.jpg

orientation isometric

isometric.jpg

orientation user_defined

when the orientation is set to user_defined two new options need to be used: x_angle and y_angle. This way you can adjust the default orientation as you like.

user_defined.jpg

Add the following lines to the end of you config.pro:

orientation user_defined

x_angle 225.0

y_angle 216.0

Adjust the values for x_angle and y_angle to give you the desired orientation.

According to the documentation those 3 lines need to be at the end of you config file

Also I need to add that in my opinion, adjusting the values for x_angle and y_angle seems a bit cumbersome. It's more of a trial and error process.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
dschenken
21-Topaz I

There are two common coordinate systems. For aircraft, Y is up, X extends from nose to tail and Z is from fuselage to port wingtip. The other is that X points to port, Y to the rear of the vehicle and Z is up.

The global system is not visible, but a default CSYS is aligned with it.

PTC/Creo doesn't really follow any system - it is typically handled by creating default/start parts that are unique to whatever company/user wants along with view orientations.

What you have specified is 90 degrees rotated from other standard coordinate systems, which is why it is not the default.

What may be an additional problem is determining if you are using 1st angle (European/ISO) or 3rd angle (US/ANSI/ASME) projections. From the look of it you are using 1st angle.

I can't help with the default orientation - it's not really useful compared with named/custom orientations.

GabrielZaha
12-Amethyst

As David already pointed out the default orientation has no direct correlation with the coordinate system. It all depends on how the start part and start assembly were built.

In addition to this, Pro/E default orientation of models is controlled by the orientation option in config.pro. This option has three possible values: trimetric, isometric and user_defined

orientation trimetric (default)

trimetric.jpg

orientation isometric

isometric.jpg

orientation user_defined

when the orientation is set to user_defined two new options need to be used: x_angle and y_angle. This way you can adjust the default orientation as you like.

user_defined.jpg

Add the following lines to the end of you config.pro:

orientation user_defined

x_angle 225.0

y_angle 216.0

Adjust the values for x_angle and y_angle to give you the desired orientation.

According to the documentation those 3 lines need to be at the end of you config file

Also I need to add that in my opinion, adjusting the values for x_angle and y_angle seems a bit cumbersome. It's more of a trial and error process.

us
4-Participant
4-Participant
(To:GabrielZaha)

Thanks David and Gabriel for you views.

I will try your views and revert again.

Nice explanation Gabriel.  Since I looked into this issue a little bit, I contribute these findings:

1) The config.pro option for user defined "Standard" orientation is actually:

x_angle ___

y_angle ___

orientation user_default

2) your angles of x_angle 225 and y_angle 216 are pretty good starting point; I used x_angle 240 and y_angle 250.  Like you said, it's trial and error.

And because only these 2 angles are used to specify the "Standard" orientation, the x-axis will always end up to be horizontal.

So there is no way to achieve an "isometric" like orientation (with the z-axis being vertical)

3) For these reasons, I don't use the "Standard" orientation but instead use the "Default" one.  Too bad - it is a waste of the CTRL+D shortcut...

Kevin
10-Marble

The Standard Orientation can't be re-defined. The default coordinate system is defined with X and Y in the plane with X pointing to the right, Y pointing up, and to complete the right hand coordinate system Z points toward you.

amihalko
1-Newbie

Hello,

I'm not sure why you would need to rename the planes or reorient the views (other than to swap "LEFT" for "RIGHT")... those should already be pointing in the "standard" directions by default.

All it sounds like all you need is to reorient x,y,z of the default csys.

Can you redefine the csys orientation to point how you want?

This assumes you have three planes as the first three features in the model tree, then the csys as the fourth feature, referencing location & orientation to the planes.

(In this example, you'd change the Right plane to point Y, the Top plane to point Z):

Csys-redefine-orientation.png

us
4-Participant
4-Participant
(To:amihalko)

Hi

Abrian,

What you have said here is for new coordinate system. it is possible and not for existing default csys in the 4th item of the model tree as you said.

Now i need to try "Gabrial" sharing on config option.

Actually my initial and modified csys are here. I have rotated and reoriented the default csys and created my "start part" like this only. These kind of modification will affect any other function in future? or it is normal?

And i have chosen this xyz orientation from this standard "ISO 8855".

David, We are using third angle projection only.

CSYS.jpg

us
4-Participant
4-Participant

Thanks guys, I got my required standard view orientation as said by gabrial.

Paul sobejko,

Its achieved by trial and error method only. I also thought Z-axis cant be rotate. But i can get z-axis also rotatable in very few X-Y values only.

Thanks.

Top Tags