cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Rounded dimension

PierrePatenaude
3-Visitor

Rounded dimension

In detailed drawing, is there a way to specified the "side" that a value should be rounded in a dimension? (upper or lower value)

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12

Hello Pierre

In the drawing, you can set how many decimal places need to round the parameter.
- behind parameter write [.2] - that is rounded to two decimal places

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Thanks for the answer. Maybe my question was not clear.

For example:

Lets say the real value is 0.125

I need 2 decimal places

If the dimension says 0.12, how can I ask it to write 0.13

How can I do that?

Hello Pierre

For newly created rounded dimension set configuration options:

default_dec_places 2

Note: (number 2 defined default number of decimal places 0-13)

In your case - if you have a number 0.124 system rouded it for 0.12 (1-4 is rounded down)

if you have a number 0.125 system rouded it for 0.13 (5-9 is rounded up)

Rounding is specified by a mathematical rules.

If you need a create a custom rule for rounding dimensions you can create your own rule by relation (Tools>Reletions...).

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Your explanantion is logical, put that is not the way Creo works.

I have here in front of me a real value of 0.3125 and Creo rounds it to 0.312

Creating a relation will works but it doesn't make any sense to do it for all dimensions.

I have seen in other CAD software the option of rounding upper or lower. I was wondering if Creo had the same possibility.

Any other ideas?

Is the nominal dimension exactly .3125 in the dimension properties dialog box? With M090 of Creo Elements Pro I get rounding that is consistant with how Vladimir explained, .3125 rounding to .313.

VladimirPalffy
13-Aquamarine
(To:Kevin)

Hi Kevin

I have the same result (0.3125 rounding to 0.313.)

Have a nice day.

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Kevin,

I double checked and the real value is 0.3125000

With 3 decimal it is rounded at 0.312

I use WF5 M060

Is this a bug in WF5?

Hello Pierre

If you can - share your file to control it in Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M090

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

What do you mean by "share your file to control it"?

Good morning Pierre

I prepared for you one sketch for checking your system rounding dim.

sketch1.png

sketch2.png

In the attachment you can find the model with rounded dim. for 2 decimal places.

Note: This model was created by Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M090

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Could be for that date code. I've seen some logged issues relating to dimensions displaying incorrectly. And if you can't share the part you're working on come up with something you can share that exhibits the same problem.

I think there are a few communication problems going on here.

1. Pierre, I'm quite sure there is no "round up or round down" option in Creo. As Vladimir says, the system follows the universally accepted rule that 5 is rounded up.

2. By "share your file ..." Vladimir is asking if you can post the part you are having trouble with so we can see why it's not behaving according to convention. If you can't share the exact file, perhaps, as Kevin suggests, you can create a "dummy" part that duplicates the problem and share it with us so we can investigate the anomaly.

Top Tags