cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

SKETCH TO PART

pfadams
1-Newbie

SKETCH TO PART

How do I convert an imported sketch from a dxf file and extrude it to a part?
We use CREO Elements/ proe

Paul Adams
Sonics & Materials
53 Church Hill Rd.
Newtown, Ct 06470

203-270-4600 ext 347

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Paul,
I would import the dxf file into one sketch and then make a second sketch using the first imported geometry as a template and draw it in he new sketch and then extrude it or sweep or whatever your functionality is. DXF files can have all sorts of small segments and pieces that are not true to the native file that might give you problems in actual creating the Pro/E (Creo) part. In the future you might want to modify it even if it is not going to be a new design and you want to keep the import as is, but for visual reasons or convenience of using in an assembly or other reasons you will be able to change that geometry if created in a sketch and not a straight import. I presume if the dxf is really complicated where you don't want to take the time to redraw it you could extrude it or what ever as is, but my guess is if its really complicated there will be problems with Creo creating the geometry.

Taking short cuts up front usually doesn't help in the long run and much better to take a little more time up front so you have better control over your model later when design iterations come into play and quick changes are needed then.

Good luck,
Mark A. Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel International
-

Paul, have you tried the Autobuild Z functionality - I think it's in the version you are using. You'll find it in drawing mode, and you have to activate the config option but it will create extruded and revolved features as well as holes, rounds, and chamfers from DXF data in the drawing, creating the features in a part file that it attaches.

Config option is autobuildz_enabled yes

Might be a way to do what you want - here are a few of the menus, albeit in Creo 2.0. The shapes have to be rather basic (no surfacing for example), but I've used it in the past and had success with using imported DXF geometry to create modifiable 3D part features.

[cid:image001.jpg@01CFEA26.5EDD1E00] [cid:image002.jpg@01CFEA26.5EDD1E00] [cid:image008.png@01CFEA26.5ED0E900]

Mike Brattoli
Moen Incorporated
Global Product Development Process Management
Administrator - PLM

Top Tags