cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

SYMBOL DRIVEN RELATION

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine

SYMBOL DRIVEN RELATION

hello everybody

i have a question: is it possible to add a relation in the model like this:

IF PARAMETER==YES

PARAMETER_2 = &sym(symbol)

ENDIF

thanks

6 REPLIES 6

If you're asking instead "How do I set a parameter to a symbol or group of symbols?" then I have done it.

What I've done:

(1) Create the target parameter in the model, setting it to be type String.

(2) Open or create a drawing. Doesn't matter which, you're just using it to generate your text.

(3) Create a note, and put the symbol(s) of interest into it.

(4) Copy/paste the symbols of interest into the assignment relation, such as

PARAMETER_2 = "XXXXX"

The XXXXX would be a quote delimited string that contains your symbol(s).

I don't know if this works for every symbol there is, but it's worked for me for what I've tried.

Also, if you want fancy stuff like superscript 2, or 3 or a degree symbol, I find that typing the character into a word processor and then copy/paste-ing it into the relations works fine, too. You can use markup stuff to do superscripts, but they mess up the line spacing and I don't care for that.

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine
(To:KenFarley)

‌i don't know what XXXXX stands for

It's just an example of a string that you would assign to the string parameter. I could have put "STRING" or "LINE" or "SYMBOLTEXT". Since the parameter you are trying to assign the symbol to is a String, you need to use double quotes around the text you wish to assign to it.

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine

‌ok, but if the symbol is not a font? For example a drawn symbol?

Maybe your original question wasn't clear. Are you talking about assigning a symbol like the third angle projection used in drawing formats, or a company logo? If so, I have no idea how you would do that.

I thought you were trying to assign a drawing symbol (like true position, perpendicularity, concentricity, etc.) to a string parameter, which is something I have found handy in the past.

mender
6-Contributor

A string parameter is not in itself complex enough to have a symbol instance (or, for that manner, any other manner of callout).  It is just a list of character codes, like 'V', 'a', 'l', 'u', 'e'.  The only clever thing it can use is use ^A/^B to employ the special/symbol font, as noted above.

Depending on what you are trying to do, you may find value in using a note-valued parameter, which allows for callouts, or just using a note instead of a parameter, or using a string that is the symbolic form of the callout, for example "&sym(mysymbol)", which won't itself make a symbol instance, but if you were to use that string in making a note, you could get one.

Top Tags