cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Save a copy

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Save a copy

Hello all,

i have a small assembly of 2 parts, one part being a generic & the other being its instance (family table member) of this generic. I want to save a copy of the assembly & the 2 parts, while maintaining the family table, but what appears to happen is that the newly created part looses its family table instance, the instance becomes a stand alone model. Is it possible to save a copy in this way? I found a work around which is to copy all the files outside Creo, in the windows environment, & then rename everything in Creo, a bit painful, but it worked.

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I've found (as you have) that Save a Copy is limited in its functionality.

What is often much more powerful is to Rename each file from within Creo, making sure that you select "Rename In Session" for each one. Then, when everything is renamed within the session, save the top level assembly and any drawings and you should have a new set of files with all the appropriate links, and with family tables intact.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I've found (as you have) that Save a Copy is limited in its functionality.

What is often much more powerful is to Rename each file from within Creo, making sure that you select "Rename In Session" for each one. Then, when everything is renamed within the session, save the top level assembly and any drawings and you should have a new set of files with all the appropriate links, and with family tables intact.

Thanks Jonathan,

that did exactly what is was looking for. Now that i have read your reply, i am pretty sure i asked the same question a few years back, & it was you, that gave the same answer. I'll try to remember it this time, but if its another 3 or 4 years until i find myself struggling with this, it doubt i will.

Regards

John

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:John.Pryal)

The environment you are working in determines how Save a Copy works with PTC products. Reference the product idea below.

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2353#comment-11415

Thank you! I just had this problem and your reply helped me.

Top Tags