cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Selecting just one part of a split surface or face

David_M
5-Regular Member

Selecting just one part of a split surface or face

I think the picture says it all. When a surface or face is split, it still seems impossible to select just one part of it. Am I missing something?

Capture.PNG

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:David_M)

I feel your pain. You can create another surface on top of the one you want, maybe even floating it .002 on top of it if it's just for illustration purposes. But, yes, ths is kind of annoying. Then, there's the fact that Pro/E splits cylindrical and some other surfaces into 2 halves, which I find far more disturbing and feel it's actually a major reason why some features, rounds particularly, fail if part of them crosses over that line. I did a test once where when I could not get a round to work because it crossed that line, suddenly it worked when I built the model oriented such (created new planes rotated 45deg in the Y axis from the default) that the round no longer crossed that line. I think this is a major problem in feature failures and has been at least since V.15 when I started on it.

Hi David...

What are you trying to accomplish in your image? While it's true the surfaces can be tricky, there may be a way to select just one side of that surface you highlighted depending upon what you're trying to acheive.

Write back and let us know more.

Thanks!

-Brian

David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:BrianMartin)

Hi Brian

I wanted to Offset > Expand the inner highlighted face. All the workarounds I can think of seem laborious (at least 6 steps).

Thanks

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:David_M)

Just that SURFACE, or what looks like the protrusion underneath? If it's the surface, and it's planar, use a "Fill" (stupid new name for a flat surface...).

Copy/Paste the surface selected. In creating the copy surface, change Options... Copy Inside Boundary and select one of the boundaries you need to select individually. Complete that feature.

Now use the Solidify command and use the Patch option to re-I.D. that surface alone.

"never, never say never"

Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to give that a try. Question is, if we can do this, why can't PTC make it so we don't HAVE to do all this monkey business?

They did, but it is in the style extension. You have to -pay-, Frank... you get nothing for free

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Doh!

Is this a surface or solid? I mean you want to ofset in solid or in a surface?

Top Tags