cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Sheetmetal Ellipse Feature (Die Form)

wjamieson
4-Participant

Sheetmetal Ellipse Feature (Die Form)

I am using a Die Form to stamp an ellipse (seen in the attached "ellipse_die.PNG") into a flat sheetmetal part. The ellipse is generated by a swept half circle on top of the die. However, when I try and use the die form operation on my flat sheetmetal piece, the part fails. Why is this? I have been able to get the die form to work by removing a small section of the ellipse, however, I would like to stamp the full ellipse on my part. Thanks for any help!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
wjamieson
4-Participant
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Just solved the issue by using the tool with the full ellipse in a "punch form" feature! Thanks for your input! Does anyone know why the ellipse only seems to work in a punch form as opposed to a die form feature?

How do people usually simulate stamping a logo? I am still not able to stamp the logo using a "punch form" feature... Any input is appreciated.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Your material is probably too thick. However, if part of it is working, the whole thing should work.

Be sure the direction is properly set. Try sneaking up on the values you want. Make the ellipse more like a circle and make the profile bigger and start working these values closer to the size you intend to know when it fails. It could be a precision issue.

If nothing else, you might create a support case if you have maintenance.

wjamieson
4-Participant

Thanks for your input.

I've attached an image of the top and bottom of the ellipse when I put a break in the tool, and then stamp the feature. The top looks fully formed, but the bottom side has the gap. As an added note, the gap's width is twice the thickness of the material.

Do you think my material is too thick? It is 0.063 inch sheet metal. The height of the ellipse is 0.01 inches.

As an added note, I'm trying to stamp a logo in the middle of the ellipse. However, that feature is also failing. Is Creo unable to use a die that has sharp corners (such as stamping words or letters into the sheetmetal)?

wjamieson
4-Participant

As an additional note, Creo appears to not let me stamp any ellipses into sheetmetal. Stamping a complete circle seems to work just fine though... Even if the ellipse is a perfect circle, Creo will say the feature failed... What is going on?

Many times the thickness will cause a surface cross-over that fails. That might be the problem with the logo.

However, there is no reason a perfect ellipse fails. This should be reported in a support case.

You might be able to do this with two semi-ellipses with open ends to achieve your requirements.

wjamieson
4-Participant

Just solved the issue by using the tool with the full ellipse in a "punch form" feature! Thanks for your input! Does anyone know why the ellipse only seems to work in a punch form as opposed to a die form feature?

How do people usually simulate stamping a logo? I am still not able to stamp the logo using a "punch form" feature... Any input is appreciated.

I've never liked the punch version but it is good that this worked.

I may not have chosen sheetmetal to do this. Normally, you can make everything you want from a quilt and then thicken it to the reverse. There are limitations, but this is similar to what you must be able to do with sheetmetal. In fact, that is what sheetmetal does in the background.

One cool feature to use in making logo solids is using the offset feature. This allows you to work on formed surfaces; say you want to put a logo on a dome.

Top Tags